09| THE OPENING IN THE TREE

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

The Opening in the Tree 

NINA changed out of her black dress and into a pair of dark washed jeans, a plain dark red scoop-necked top tucked into the jeans and a denim jacket was thrown over her shoulders. She had her worn black converse on her feet and her long blonde hair was pulled back into a high ponytail.

She left a note for her mother; saying she was staying over at the Wheeler's before making her way to the woods where they agreed to meet. When Nina arrived at the meet-up point, she saw Nancy and Jonathan already there, standing in front of a line of cans. She stayed away from them and listened to their conversation. "Just, uh, point and shoot," Jonathan said to Nancy as she took the gun out of his hand.

"I don't think my parents ever loved each other," Nancy admitted which surprised Nina.

"They must've married for some reason," Jonathan said as Nancy began to aim the gun.

"My mom was young. My dad was older, but he had a cushy job; money; came from a good family. So, they bought a nice house at the end of the cul-de-sac... and started their nuclear family," Nina could almost feel the anger coming off from Nancy as she spoke.

"Screw that," Jonathan commented which Nancy repeated back; "Yeah. Screw that."

She pulled the trigger and the bullet hit the can, knocking it to the ground.

"Nice shot," Nina complimented once she stood beside Nancy.

Her words caused the two to jump as they were startled by her sudden appearance. She let out a small chuckle before nodding her head towards the woods. "Let's get going," she announced as she started making her way towards the woods.

The three walked in silence for several moments as they walked through the woods when the silence was broken by Nancy saying, "You never said what I was saying."

"What?" Jonathan asked in confusion as he was unsure about what Nancy was referring to.

"Yesterday. You said I was saying something and that's why you took my picture," Nancy explained, and Nina had a feeling their conversation wasn't going to end well.

"Oh, uh... I don't know. My guess... I saw this girl, you know, trying to be someone else. But for that moment... it was like you were alone, or you thought you were. And, you know, you could just be yourself," Jonathan answered, and Nina couldn't help from agreeing with what he was saying.

"That is such bullshit," Nancy snapped which made Nina whisper under her breath; "Here we go."

"What?" Jonathan stammered causing the three of them to stop.

"I am not trying to be someone else. Just because I'm dating Steve and you don't like him," Nancy said, and Jonathan walked past her.

"You know what? Forget it. I just thought it was a good picture," he commented as Nancy began to follow him.