two

Michael shifted uncomfortably under Avery's gaze. It had never occurred to him before that moment that he probably should have had a plan, but now it was abundantly clear.

"Hi." He struggled to get the words out.

He rocked back on his heels, praying that she'd say something soon because he was beginning to think that this was the worst idea he'd ever had.

"Hi." She responded, her eyebrows pulling together in the first bit of emotion she'd displayed other than shock since she'd opened the door.

The two of them continued to stare at each other for a few moments.

Michael couldn't get over how much more grown up she looked. It had only been a year but she was taller and somehow even thinner than she had been. Her hair was longer and her eyes a little less lively but she was still the girl he'd met back at that party three years ago.

"What are you doing here?" She cleared her throat and shook her head softly. "Wait how did you know to find me here?"

"Uh, Calum gave me the address." He scratched at the back of his neck, trying to stall for some time.

"Right." Avery bit down on her lip and Michael wished he didn't notice just how attractive she looked when she did that.

He wished he wasn't so hopelessly awkward and he wished he was here under different circumstances. Hell, he wished he hadn't broken her heart a year ago because right now all he wanted was to be able to hold her in his arms again.

"Did you want to come in?" Avery figured that Michael had to have a pretty good reason for tracking her down and the least she could do was invite him in so he could explain what that reason was.

"Thanks." He muttered as he brushed past her.

Once he was in her apartment he didn't know what to do. He could have sat down or continued standing or leant against the wall but he didn't know so he settled for taking the place in. It was so typically Avery that it made him want to laugh. It looked just like the dream apartment she'd described to him a million times before and now that he was looking at it in real life he realised that it seemed to fit her personality perfectly.

"You can sit down." Her voice broke Michael out of his little reverie and he took a seat on the couch.

"So, um, I should probably tell you why I'm here." He wiped the palms of his hands on his jeans as she sat down on the other end of the couch and tucked her legs up underneath her. "Do you think it'd be alright if I crashed here tonight?"

Michael had hoped that he'd be able to ask Avery a little more gracefully than that but she made him nervous and he couldn't really get his brain and his mouth to cooperate.

"You want to stay here, at my apartment, tonight?" Michael could completely understand why she looked so confused, it was an odd request. "Can I ask why?"

"Yeah, totally, of course you can." He took a deep breath, trying to compose himself. "So I kind of lost my job and then my roommate kicked me out of our apartment because I didn't have a job anymore. Luke and Calum are kind of travelling at the moment and I don't really have anyone else."

He stopped talking for a few minutes and when Avery didn't say anything he started again.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have come here after everything. What was I - " Michael cut himself off and started to get up and head for the door, Avery's voice was the only thing that stopped him from leaving.

"Michael it's fine you can stay here for a night. I wouldn't want you to have to sleep in your car or anything." She was joking but the sheepish look that crossed Michael's face gave him away and caused Avery to let out a sigh. "Have you seriously been sleeping in your car? How long has this been going on?"