Eight

Thanksgiving came faster than ever. Johnson was coming over about an hour before my brother and his new girlfriend were supposed to be here. We had spent all morning cooking Thanksgiving foods, my mom talking as fast as her mouth could go while Kate listed different ways Jade could look.

"Maybe she has red hair," She wondered. "Can you imagine how cute it would be if Jordan had a baby with red hair?"

My dad laughed. "Kathryn Emilie Summerline, don't be disappointed if nothing happens between them."

Kate huffed and blew a strand of hair out of her face. "Please, dad. Jordan the decision maker? If he didn't intend to marry this girl, she would not be here right now."

No one argued, because we all knew it was true. Jordan was responsible, but fun. I knew he was going to get married soon. It was inevitable. He was also a huge hopeless romantic, adding to my undeniable knowledge he was going to fall in love.

As we discussed this, a knock came at the door. Kate looked at me with a mischievous face.

"Oh...hmm...Reagan, can you get that?" She said, batting her eyelashes.

I rolled my eyes and laughed, but secretly being excited to open the door and see Johnson's smiling face. His laughter lines and his tan skin.

When I opened the door, he stood in dress pants and a white button up shirt with a bowtie. I looked up at him, since he was a head taller than me, at least, and smiled brightly. I wanted to say something witty and cute, hopefully to make him want to kiss me again (since he hasn't since our date) but I was speechless.

"Hey," I finally said, wishing I had come up with something intelligent. "I'm so happy to see you." It was true. He radiated a happy energy without doing anything. He made everything better.

"Thanks for having me," He said, smiling at me. I was feeling it again. I wondered if that meant he was going to kiss me again. The look in his eyes said yes, but before I had the chance to hint at it, my dad was behind me in the door frame.

I turned bright red. My dad must have stood there the entire time while Johnson and I stared at each other in silence. My dad liked Johnson, a lot. They liked the same sport's teams, he liked his mission plans, his respect for me and my curfew. It was like my dad had stamped him with a rubber 'HE'S GOOD' sign.

Johnson helped my mom peel sweet potatoes while I set the table. I could hear him talking about the temple back in Arizona. I liked how Johnson fit so well with my entire family. Connor did too, but he had known our family for years. Johnson was just simply charismatic.

As we all sat in the kitchen of finished food, a coded knock came at the door. Jordan always did it, and it was music to my ears. I had missed him so much.

We all nearly tumbled over each other to answer the door, but Kate fought her way to the doorknob first. She swung open the door, to Jordan standing is black dress pants, a maroon button up shirt, and a black tie. Next to him stood a petite girl with long, natural blonde hair. She had green eyes and white teeth.

Kate gasped. "Jordan, how did you get someone like her?"

Everyone laughed, and Jordan hugged my mom and Kate. My mom led Jade inside, chatting with her about the trip here and BYU. Johnson hugged my dad next, and then he got to me. He was just as tall as Johnson, and he hugged me with his tight, strong hugs. His dark copper hair was cut short and smoothed back.

"Hey, squirt," He greeted me, ruffling my hair. "How's good old CHS?"

"Fine," I said. "How's good old BYU?"