Three

"Hey, Reagan!" I heard a voice behind me call as I walked to the car. "Wait up!"

I turned to see Johnson. It was the third week of school now, and we decided to drive out  to visit the temple. It wasn't too bad, only about an hour. Johnson and I were about halfway there when he said, "So I'm submitting my papers soon."

I looked over at him. "Your mission papers?" I said stupidly. What else could he be talking about?

He nodded eagerly as he hit his blinker. "Yeah, I'm kind of nervous."

I pinched my lips together. "Why?" I wondered. 

He looked at me like I was crazy. "Well, first off, the longest I've ever been away from my mom is a week, so two years is a long time. Plus, I don't know, it is a little scary, wouldn't you think?"

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah," I said, feeling bad about what I'd said. "Sorry, I guess I'd never thought about it."

"No need to apologize, Reagan." Johnson smiled. "I'm sure you've worried about it too."

I shrugged. "Not necessarily."

He looked over at me as we pulled into the baptism parking lot. "How come?"

I looked at the beautiful temple doors, my recommend, and then at Johnson. 

"Can we talk about this later? I mean, look at this." I urged, and he dropped it.

He ran around, and opened my door for me, and then he followed closely behind me as we walked into the doors, and I felt cleansed in light once again. 

---

Johnson walked out of temple behind me with a quick pace. I was laughing at him, and he was laughing behind me, and as we got into the car, he looked at his watch.

"It's only noon you know." He observed.

I nodded with a playful smile. "Great job."

He slumped into his seat with a smile. "So let's go somewhere."

 I looked down at my church clothes. "In these?"

He chuckled. "Yeah, I mean, what, are you ashamed?" 

I shook my head. 

---

We ended up at a park by the beach. It was cold, and Johnson and I sat on the swings together, and some joggers passed by, looking at us strangely, probably because of our church clothes. I tried not to think about it, but I hated stares. You'd think I was used it, being some abnormal girl in school, but I wasn't.

I shivered, and Johnson looked at me. "Are you cold?" He asked me. 

I nodded honestly. "Yeah, a little bit."

He stood up quickly, and jumped to take off his suit jacket. I shook my head quickly. "Johnson, you don't have to--"

"Nonsense," He protested. "Now come here, let me put it on you."

"I'm perfectly capable."

"I know you are Reagan. But I would like to think I'm somewhat of a gentleman, so allow me." Johnson said seriously. I have in, and he stood behind me, and put each sleeve on and finally lifted it over my shoulders. I looked up as he did it, and out eyes met, and we both stood in that position for a moment, not saying a word. My heart lurched. I quickly sat back down on my swing, breaking the feeling that was still hanging in the air. 

Johnson seemed not to have noticed. He sat down as well, and looked over at me. "Would you like to have a contest? I'll bet I can swing higher."

I rolled my eyes. "That's what you think! You're on!" I laughed, and started to swing. He was tall, so he was getting higher faster, so I pumped my legs harder. Finally, our swinging was in sync. I still tried to get higher, but he wouldn't let me. As we were swinging, he looked over at me.

"So Reagan, what was that about your mission again?" He said, and I wished I didn't have to answer, but I came to conclusion it would be best if I just told him. 

"I'm not going to go on a mission, Johnson." I said to him.

He let his feet hit the gravel and stopped swinging.

"Ha ha! I beat you--" I started, but he interrupted me. 

"Why not?" He asked.

I stopped swinging this time. "My boyfriend Connor is going to come home while I'm in the field, and I want to be with him when I get home."

He looked over at me. "So? Just be with him after your mission."

I shook my head. "Why would he want to wait?"

He stood up. "Really? So you're saying, it's okay for you to wait two years for him, but the thought of him doing the same is unbearable? Reagan, excuse my nosiness, but you'd be gone shorter than he would."

I looked at my nice church shoes. I didn't respond to Johnson.

He helped me off the swing. "You should think about that."

I sighed, and even though I didn't want to think about it, he was right. He was, and I knew it. But my brain kept saying no. 

I changed the subject quickly. "Johnson, could you swing like you were again? I want a picture, the sunset is great today."

He dropped the subject because he knew I'd prefer that. He started swinging, and I snapped a photo of him in front of the orange fading light, with his hair in the wind, and his amazing smile looking right at me. 

---

That night I sat down to write an email to Connor.

Dearest Darling Connor,

How are things out in the field? How is that investigator you were telling me about, any progress?

My first sentence seemed weird. I tried again. 

My Cute Connor,

How are you dear? I'm okay, I'm definitely missing you though :). A new family moved into our ward, The Bailey's, and they have two kids. They are from Arizona, so they weren't the only LDS kids in school. Their daughter Juliet is Kate's age, and they are already best friends. Their other son is in my grade, and his name is Johnson, and he's really great.

Today we went to the temple together and it was one of the best experiences of my life. He's so funny. Afterward, we went to that park we used to go to by the beach. You remember that, right? Anyway, we had a swinging contest and on the way home, I brought our mix tape of our songs, and we listened to it on the way home, he told me he really liked it and that you have good music choice. 

I nearly forgot, there was an amazing sunset that night, all orange and yellow and the ocean looked like orange juice. I took a picture, look:

I added the picture of Johnson, with his huge pearly smile, and his tie flapping in the wind. You could tell it was a happy memory.

Anyway, keep in touch.

I love you,

Reagan

After I finished the e-mail, I realized that every thing I did with Johnson were things Connor and I used to do together before he left. I wondered if he'd feel bad about that. I dragged the picture of Johnson out, and created a new file, and titled it "Happy Memories". 

Then I dragged my mouse over the entire email and pressed delete.

I started again.

Connor,

Hope you're well and the weather is okay down there. Keep teaching them boy!

Love,

Reagan.