Seven

I knew Connor had received my letter. Just the same, he never wrote back. I was expecting it, though I wondered if he disliked me for it. I still had friends writing to him, like Jenna. He still sent letter to the ward which were put into our newsletter.
It wasn't on my mind for long as Thanksgiving weekend approached rapidly. School was slowing down, days getting colder, leaves disappearing, sweaters thicker. Johnson and I spent a lot of time together, and Jenna had been teasing me, using the word 'boyfriend' constantly. I brushed it off, but I found myself pondering it a lot.
The Friday before Thanksgiving weekend, Johnson had asked me if I wanted to go on a late night date. He had taken to dates starting after ten o'clock, but he always brought me home before my 1:00 curfew. He was at my house as the clock struck ten.
Kate answered before I could say a word. Johnson stood on my porch, looking cute in a coat, scarf, and beanie. His sandy blonde hair was growing a little longer, and I wanted to leave with him, but also melt into a puddle at the same time to eradicate the butterflies occupying my stomach.
"Come in," I finally managed to say, and he stepped out of the cold.
I took my coat off of the coat rack, and Johnson helped me put it on. Once my hat and scarf were on, we were out the door. I got into the passenger seat of his car, and he jumped in after me. He looked over at me and smiled. It was dark, and I was hardly able to see him in the darkness of the car, but I knew what his smile looked like, and I could see it in the dark.
"You look beautiful," Johnson said, and I felt myself blush profusely. Thank goodness it was dark.
"Thanks. You look nice too," I responded, butterflies intensifying by the minute.
He started the car, and we drove for a few minutes in comfortable silence. He reached his hand across the dashboard, and my hand automatically reached as well. I noticed just before I touched his hand, and hesitated. He laughed a little.
"You are so shy sometimes," He remarked, and he held my hand. I immediately felt comforted as he touched me. The butterflies were exploding, but I nearly could feel his nervousness too. It was a good feeling.
Finally, I said, "So, where are we going again?" I knew it wasn't the same hike we usually went on, since the trails had closed the week previous.
"You will have to wait and see," Johnson said with a sly smile.
He pulled to the side of the road, turning onto a dirt road. He drove a short distance before pulling into an empty clearing. The field was flat as the eye could see, and he ran to open my door for me. Once we both stood outside, he smiled.
"Look up," He said.
I look toward the sky, and the stars were glittering above me. The sky was clearer here, constellations dotting the sky and galaxies dancing above me. I looked back into Johnson's equally as dazzling eyes, and there was a feeling. A look in his eyes said it. No proof, but I knew it when I felt it.
Later, as we laid on the hood of his car, he looked at me. It felt as if we had been talking for hours about pointless things. He looked at his watch.
"Wow," was all he said.
"What?" I asked, sitting up.
He stood up from the car, helping me off as well. "It's 12:30 already."
I nodded. 'We'd better go then. My parents always wait up for us."
As we began the drive home, the feeling was in the car again. We held hands once again, and I knew he felt it too. It was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I was hoping he didn't hear my heartbeat.
We pulled into my driveway at 1:05. It was only five minutes after my curfew, but my parents were strict about it, unless it was something important. Johnson walked me up to the door, and we stood on the welcome mat for what felt like forever. He was still holding my hand.
"Thanks for taking me Johnson," I said with red cheeks. "That was fun."
He brushed a piece of my hair from my face. "You're fun to be around."
My heart was beating a thousand miles a minute. The constant butterflies were so violent I almost was dizzy. It was a feeling I had never felt before, not even with Connor. I knew what was going to happen even before he leaned in.
It was a small kiss. I don't remember it being longer than a few seconds, but it felt so right it could've been much longer. As soon as he pulled away, he looked happier than I had ever seen him.
Then he started to laugh.
It wasn't mean, it was this laugh that screamed joy and relief. I laughed with him. I never wanted to say goodnight. He squeezed my hand, and to my dismay, he let go.
"I'll see you around," He said with a smile.
"Yeah..." I said, my voice trailing off.
He kissed me once more, this time longer, before walking back down the steps and into his car. I stood on the porch, trying to get the key into the hole with my shaky hands. We had been on the porch for at least ten minutes. Just as the lock turned, I heard a cheer inside Johnson's car. Unaware I could see him, he ran his hands through his hair and cheered again. It was so cute.
I finally got inside, closed the door, and leaned against it for a moment. I sighed a little, before regaining my sanity and walked into the kitchen to put my key on the rack, where my mother and sister stood with a look on their face.
I turned bright red. "How much of that did you see?"
They smiled, and I knew they'd seen it all.
"Reagan," My mom said in a serious voice. I thought she was about to scold me for being nearly fifteen minutes late for my curfew, but instead her tone turned bouncy and excited. "Are you guys a thing now?"
I groaned. "Mom!"
Kate was nearly bouncing off the walls. "You should see the look in your eyes Reagan. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were in love with Johnson Bailey."
I didn't respond, I just smiled at my shoes and walked back toward the stairs.
Kate squealed. "Oh my gosh, you are!" She exclaimed. "I can't wait to call Juliet in the morning! We're going to be sisters!"
I rolled my eyes and smiled. I went upstairs and went the bed, but I was up for a little while thinking about those dazzling stars.