Chapter 1

Ava paced back and forth in her room thinking to herself.

Ok, I should just do it. She should know. But what if I'm wrong? Then I would look dumb. But she won't care right? Maybe I should just wait a while...until I have things figured out more. Wait, what am I saying? She's my best friend. She'll understand.

Ava picked up her phone and dials Brianna's (Bri's) number. Her heart was pounding as the phone rang. As Ava listened to the ring, she paced back and forth impatiently.

"Hey girl, what's up?" Bri said when answering the phone.

"Hey! What are you doing? Can you come over? I have news!" Ava said excitedly.

"Oh. This must be good. Can't even tell me over the phone huh? Ok, I'll be over in a little while" Bri responded.

"Ok. I'll see you soon."

Ava hung up the phone and threw it on her bed. Why was she so nervous? Bri wouldn't care... or would she? Ava tried to busy herself while waiting on Bri. She tried watching tv, listening to music, and playing games on her phone. Nothing was working.

Ava laid on the bed and started playing with her long curly black hair that everyone complimented her on. Ava was mixed- Black and White. She was short with hazel eyes and tan skin. She was a pretty goofy person when she was around similar people. Otherwise, she could be shy at times, but she had a great personality. She just celebrated her twenty-fourth birthday a few weeks ago. She didn't have very many friends. But she had Bri and that was good enough for her.

Bri was the opposite of Ava. She was very outgoing and outspoken. She always said what was on her mind, and Ava admired her for that. Ava always wished she could be more upfront with people, but she was always worried about what they would think of her. Bri, on the other hand, didn't care at all. She knew who her real friends were. Bri was the same age as Ava, tall, Black, and slim. She had gorgeous dark brown skin that was always clear of blemishes. She had a short haircut and she loved wearing snapbacks and Jordans. She was also a lesbian. She came out before she met Ava in high school.

Almost an hour had passed and Ava was starting to get worried. She pulled out her phone to text Bri when she heard a knock on her apartment door. Her heart stopped. She walked over calmly and opened it.

"What took you so long?!" Ava yelled.

"Whoa! What's wrong with you? It only took me like 30 minutes. I had to get dressed" Bri replied as she walked in.

"It was more like an hour!" Ava said.

"Ok, my bad! Gesh! So what's going on?" Bri asked.

The two walked into Ava's bedroom.

"Take a seat" Ava insisted.

Bri sat down on Ava's bed and watched Ava pace back and forth.

"Is it that bad?" Bri asked somewhat confused.

"No, no. It's not bad" Ava replied.

"Then what? Is it something about me?" Bri asked.

"No. No" Ava replied.

Bri grabbed her hand to stop her from walking.

"Just say it girl" Bri said.

Ava sat down on the bed next to Bri and crossed her legs. She grabbed a pillow and hugged it tightly.

Bri sat there patiently waiting for what Ava would say.

"I think I might be... I mean I think I might...you know... like women" Ava finally said.