The Grasshole Across the Street

*Picture on the side of what Ashlynn's new house kind of looks like. By the way, sorry if there are any spelling errors*

Chapter 1: The Grasshole Across the Street

A beautiful, two story house comes in to view, with tall stone walls and light beige paneling, a two car garage, big clear windows, and nicely trimmed hedges. Our new home.

My bare feet hit the torched pavement as my mom, my siblings and I file out of her blue minivan. My mom juggles around the items in her purse, eventually pulling out a copper key and unlocking the front door. Inside, all of the walls are a crisp white-- a blank canvas destined to be explored by the many colors mom has picked out.  A grand wooden staircase is the feature of the entry way as well as a spiraled, crystalized chandelier. Bright, natural light fills every crevasse of the room, flowing from the large windows. 

Walking through the living room and through a large entryway, we enter one of the biggest kitchens I have ever seen, with oak cabinets and marble counter tops. I take a glance at my mom and see the biggest smile form on her face, her eyes shining. I know where my mom will be spending most of her time.

"Why don't you kids go take a look around," Mom says, running her hand on the smooth marble. We nod, exiting the kitchen and heading towards the stairway. My brother, Alex and sister, Jenna and I stop at the bottom, sending a mutual glance at one another. At every house we have moved to, we have a tradition: whoever gets to a room first, gets to claim it. 

But I had an advantage this time; I took a look at the pictures of the house before we got here. So I already know which room I want and where it was in the house.

"3...2...1...GO!" I yell, my long legs carrying me up the stairs swiftly. I reach the top, taking a sharp left turn and bolting towards the bedroom at the very end of the hallway.

"Claimed!" I yell down the hall. I nod at the room, admiring the blank room.

"This one is mine!" I hear Alex scream from the room closest to mine. Terrific.

"Mine is closest to mommy's room!" Jenna's angelic like voice calls from the other side of the hall. The master bedroom was located across from mine, which would of course go to our mother. Alex barges into my room, mouth gaping open.

"Aww man, this room is awesome!" Alex says, crossing his arms over his chest. He strides in further, peeking his head into the bathroom. "You even have your own bathroom and everything! Not fair! I have to share with her!"

"Hey! I have a name you know!" Jenna pouts standing at the door. She sticks her tongue out, followed by my immature little brother.

"Sorry, what I meant to say was, I have to share a bathroom with the little brat." He laughs and Jenna's face scrunches up in anger. She stomps out of the bedroom.

"Someone's about to get in trouble," I mumble, letting out a small laugh. His gaze turns from confusion to fear within seconds, realizing what was about to happen.

"Mommy! Alex called me a mean name!" Jenna's voice protrudes from the bottom floor. My brother jumps.

"Alexander John, get down here right now!" Mom yells.

"Shit," Alex mumbles, face-palming.

"What did you say, Alex?" I raise an eyebrow, knowing exactly what word came out of his mouth. But being the terrific sister that I am, I will let it slide this time.

"Nothin." He scurries out of the room and down the stairs before I can say another word. I shake my head and take another look around the bedroom, really inspecting it this time. The walls are a plain white, which I don't plan on changing. Three medium sized windows illuminate the room, with one of the windows located by a cushioned bench. I walk over to the window seat and see that the window leads out to a small part of the roof. This area will come in handy when I need some peace and quiet.