Little Miss Rebel

I sauntered into the school, my bag draped over both shoulders which is holding three of the heaviest textbooks ever, consistently dragging my torso closer and closer to the ground. Bags lingered under my eyes from the restless night I had previously; including writing two essays, four math assignments, and another nightmare. Let me just say this: I was not in the greatest shape and not in any mood to deal with people today.

As I am dragging myself down the senior hallway, a massive yawn escapes my mouth, causing my eyes to water viciously.

"Well don't you look like crap." I stop abruptly and turn around slowly, glaring daggers at Aidan.

"Sorry that I was born with this face. Avert your eyes if you don't like what you see and leave me alone." I snap continuing my journey to first period.

"Jeez I was just kidding blondie. Don't get your panties in a twist." Aidan sighs, making his way to be right next to me. "Did you have a bad night?"

"Yeah. Let's just say that I'm never skipping school again that's for sure. Not while I'm in Mr. Wright's class at least."

"So you were skipping them. Little miss rebel."

"What? No. I just meant skipping since I was sick."

"Mhm, whatever." He winks playfully at me, causing to roll my eyes in frustration.

"Whatever Aidan, just get off of my case. I'm not in the mood to deal with idiots like yourself." I say, stopping at my locker to drop of the twenty pounds of put torture resting on my back.

"Fine I'll leave you be for now, but I will figure out what is bothering you. Your face says it all Ash."

I let out an annoyed laugh. "Quit acting like you know me."

"I don't know you that well, but I know enough about you that you play with your hands when you are nervous about something." I glance down and sure enough my hands were clasped tightly around each other and my right thumb was digging into my left hand. I immediately release them and drop my hands to my sides. I stand there for a second, trying to come up with some excuse. He was right, and I hated that he was. Out of frustration, I slam my locker shut and hoist my bag on my right shoulder before speed walking to my class, leaving Aiden in the dust.

  ❁

Lunch period finally comes, by which at this time I have a splitting headache and my vision unsteady. I drift towards the cafeteria with my sack lunch, plopping myself into my regular seat at a round table in the outer-right corner of the room. Kyla soon skips her way into the cafeteria, bolting to our table and sitting in her usual spot. She wraps her arm around me, giving me a tight squeeze. She suddenly lets go of me and gives me a serious look, starting right into my eyes with her light golden-brown ones.

"Ky, why are you looking at me like I have a second head sprouting out of my shoulder?"

"Are you okay??" She says with a serious demeanor.

"Y-yeah why wouldn't I be?" A cold sweat reaches my forehead.

"You are as white a sheet of paper and you flinched when I hugged you. Did I do something wrong?"

"No you didn't do anything, I just had a bad night sleep that's all."

"Are you sure Ash? You look as though you haven't slept in days."

" I mean, I didn't feel well yesterday so I'm probably just still getting over whatever sickness I have. I promise Kyla, I'm fine." I tell her, ignoring the tedious pain shooting through my eyes and forehead. Her face is still flooded with question, but she sighs.

"Just promise me you'll tell me if anything is ever bothering you, please? I am your friend after all, and friends are there for each other always."

I give her a small smile and nod. She grins back at me and begins digging into her lunch box. I internally sigh, before opening my sack as well. Just as I am taking a bite of my sandwich, Aiden and two of his buddies enter the cafeteria, surely laughing at an inappropriate joke of some sort. Aiden and I make brief eye contact. He gives me a quick smirk before turning away and jumping into his conversation with his best friend, Kyle, once again.

Another pain shoots through my skull, and I immediately clutch my forehead. A comforting hand lands on my shoulder, and I turn my head towards Kyla.

"Maybe you should go home if you still don't feel well. You shouldn't push yourself." She mentions, worry once agin ringing in her voice.

"N-no I'm fine, I can't risk missing another day."

"Ashlynn, I'm worried about you. You really don't look well."

I lay my hands down on the table and push myself out of my seat. "I will be right back, I'm going to use the restroom," I say quickly, excusing myself. I begin walking away from the table when my ears start ringing and my vision becomes extremely fuzzy. I feel both of my knees give out and everything goes black.

__________________________________________

Thanks to all of you who have stuck around so far! Again I apologize for taking so long to publish this next chapter. I will try to have the next one up either tonight or tomorrow. I hope to get back to a regular publishing schedule, but I am still struggling to find motivation to write. Thanks again for being patient! Love you all! 

-Kait