Prologue

*April 24, 1980*

British Ministry of Magic
Whitehall, London, Great Britain

"Mr. Grindelwald, the Minister is ready for you," the woman said. A young man in his mid 30's rose from the bench. His clothes were clean and his platinum hair was slicked back. He was an handsome lad. Every day he walked with a smile on his face-- every day but today. As the young man began to walk into the Minister's office, the wizards around him shouted, "He's dangerous! Send him with his father!" The man sighed and hung his head.

All throughout his life, he had one goal: to show everyone that he was nothing like his father. Indeed, Augustus Grindelwald was nothing like his father, Gellert Grindelwald. Augustus was a kind soul. He cared for others and got along well with them. He was sorted in the Ravenclaw house at Hogwarts. His favorite subjects were Potions and Care for Magical Creatures. He was very bright at his young age. As he grew up, he gained the interests of many wizards. They stopped judging him by his last name. He ended up falling in love and marrying a Muggle born. Eventually, he became an employee in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, working in the Beast Division. He was happy. Everyone was seeing him for the person he was. He was respected and well liked, but that all changed three months ago.

Three months ago, a prophecy was told.

"Behold, a new era is coming. For a power never seen before will erupt by the hands of a Grindelwald."

Augustus entered into the office. "Mr. Grindelwald, please sit down," the Minister said. "Call me Augustus," he said as he sat down in the chair. The Minister was quiet for a minute. Then she spoke, "You have been a great part with the Beast Division here. I can't thank you enough for all the work you have done. There is so much we have learned--" "I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're firing me?" Augustus asked the Minister. She smiled softly. "I know you knew this was going to happen," she replied. Augustus shook his head. "B-but Millicent, I didn't do anything wrong!" Augustus exclaimed. "Mr. Grindelwald--" "Augustus" he said correcting her. "Augustus, that prophecy is working against you. You're the only Grindelwald left. You and Olivia don't have any children, so you are the one that fits the prophecy. " Millicent says. Augustus looked down at the floor at the mention of not having children. "I'm sorry about Olivia's miscarriage," she said softly. Augustus looked up at her. 

"You can't fire me. I've done nothing wrong! I've proved my loyalty to the Ministry!" Augustus said. You could hear the anger in his voice. "I have no choice. As you know, we are dealing with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named right now. We do not need another threat to our world," Millicent says. "What are you going to do to me? Are you going to throw me in Nurmengard with that man?!" Augustus said jumping out of his chair. "No. The Ministry is going to keep an eye on you to make sure nothing bad happens. I know you're a good lad, but the people are worried. They will not sit still if I continue to let you work with the Ministry," Millicent said in a calm voice. Augustus scoffed. Millicent rose up from her chair before Augustus could say another word. "Augustus Grindelwald, you are hereby dismissed of your duties to the British Ministry of Magic." She said as she held out her hand for his ID. Augustus looked at her in disbelief. She didn't move a muscle. He pulled out his ID and placed it on her desk. "It has been a pleasure working with you, Millicent Bagnold," he said and left her office.

Augustus walked down the street. A sharp pain arose in his head. His head started spinning and he shut his eyes.
"Augustus! We know you're in there! Come out!" A man said. A group of wizards dressed in black capes started banging on the door. Augustus held his wife. A green shot of light flashed.
Augustus opened his eyes. His heart started to race as he approached his house.