Chapter Sixteen | Another Hollow Hunter

Jade's POV:

After I got dressed and took my medication, I headed downstairs to be greeted by the delicious smell of breakfast. Miss Peregrine was reading the morning's newspaper as Caleb stood by the stove cooking. "Good morning, Jade." Miss Peregrine said with a small smile after she put the paper down from her face. "Morning." I replied. I walked over to one of the cabinets and retrieved a cup to pour fresh coffee in. I was thankful that neither one of them attempt to make conversation until I had drank my coffee. We mostly made small talk as we ate together. It was strange, because I knew I wouldn't be going back to 1898 this morning. I just hoped I could go and see my friends later today if everything worked out and went as planned. But I made sure not to get too hopeful.

Once I was finished eating, I took my pills and then brushed my teeth. Before I knew it I was in the back seat of Caleb's car headed to god knows where. I stared out of the window and watched at the city started to turn into suburbs. "Dr. Kreizler will be meeting us at our destination." Miss Peregrine said, breaking the silence. Her words made me feel hopeful. At least I could see him for a little while before he had to go back to his loop. "He insisted upon meeting your mentor, and I don't see any harm in that. I know he isn't very trusting of the normal run of things, and I admit... over the years I've started to feel the same way." She said. The car ride fell into silence once more, and I took that as an opportunity to listen to some music. I noticed that we were heading into the less developed areas of New York, which is something I haven't yet seen. It was a little refreshing to get out of the city for a change.

But I couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to go back. Maybe it was just the idea of meeting someone new, and having to actually explore my peculiar ability. Eventually the car started to slow down and we pulled into a gravel driveway. I paused my music and took my earphones out before stuffing them into my backpack. We approached a nice looking home with a manicured lawn and beautiful flower beads. There was another car sitting there waiting, and I figured it was Dr. Kreizler... at least I hoped it was. Caleb parked the car and killed the engine before we all got out of the car. Then the front passenger door of the other vehicle opened. Dr. Kreizler stepped out and I was shocked at what my eyes saw. He wasn't wearing his usual black suit; he had a black sweater and black jeans on. They fit him pretty good as well. I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face either, because he looked like the coffee shop reader/writer type. 'Just the type I secretly have a soft spot for.' I thought inside of my head.

I walked towards him and gave him a hug. The sweater he was wearing felt very soft. All I really wanted to do was snuggle into his chest and stay in his arms for a while. But I knew we couldn't stay like that forever. We broke the hug and we followed Miss Peregrine towards the house. "Now, he may be a couple of years younger than you but don't let that fool you. He has had lots of experience with hollows." Miss Peregrine said in a hushed tone as we walked onto the front porch. She knocked on the door and we waited for someone to come and invite us inside. When the door opened we were greeted by a young man who was quite tall for his age. He had short black hair and blue eyes. "Miss Peregrine, It's nice to see you again." He said happily.

We followed him inside and I looked around as Miss Peregrine asked him questions about his life. The place looked like the home of a well traveled middle aged man, but I knew he wasn't middle aged even if I hadn't been told he was younger. I could tell... it was like I could tell the age of his soul in an odd sort of way. "Jade, I'd like you to meet Jacob Portman." Miss Peregrine said, introducing us to each other. We shook hands and said our hellos before he took us into the living room. "It's a pleasure to actually meet you, Jade. I've heard a lot about you through other peculiars." Jacob said as we sat down and he poured tea into five tea cups. "It seems like a lot of people have heard about me through others it seems like." I replied with a shy small laugh, which made him smile a little. "Don't worry, the same thing happened to me when I found out I was peculiar." He said as he sat back and sipped his tea. After making small talk, things got a lot more serious. Miss Peregrine discussed that I would have to come and visit Jacob three times a week for proper peculiar training.