Chapter Ten | A Somber Reunion

Jade's POV:

The next day my parents arrived to New York. My mom called and let me know which hotel they were staying at, so we could go pick them up. Caleb thought it would be a good idea to take us all out to brunch at one of his favorite diners. I was a little nervous about going out to eat somewhere since wights have been looking for me. What worried me was the possibility of my parents becoming targets once they were seen with me. "It's okay, Jade. We'll be followed by trustworthy and reliable peculiars who will protect us." He said with a hint of sympathy in his eyes. I wasn't completely convinced, but I couldn't just stay home. I needed to see my parents.

So I reluctantly got into the passenger seat of Caleb's car and buckled up. As he drove to our destination I stared out of the window and watched the buildings pass. My mood was at an all time low. Even though I knew I wouldn't get any rest, all I wanted to do was sleep. Once we reached the hotel, we met up with my mom and dad in the lobby. "I'm so glad you're okay, Jade. If something had happened to you I'm not sure what I would have done." My mom said after she threw her arms around me. I wasn't sure what to say, so I just gave her a small smile after we broke the hug. She wiped away a couple of tears that had fallen before Caleb suggested that we head to the restaurant. I made small talk with my mom while my dad asked Caleb of there were any leads into the investigation.

I think the police were scared now that the pattern of child deaths were interrupted by finding my uncle had died the same way. It was obvious they thought there was some kind of disturbed serial killer roaming the streets of New York. In a sense they were right, but there isn't any way of them capturing something they can't see. When we reached the diner we were seated at a booth near the back of the restaurant. As we sat down I spotted some of the peculiars who were making sure we weren't being tracked my wights. A waitress with red hair and green eyes handed us menus and asked us what we would like to drink. Caleb, my dad, and I all ordered coffee while my mom ordered an iced tea.

They discussed funeral arrangements while I stared out the window. The sky was covered in thick gray clouds even though it's not supposed to rain today. A few moments later our waitress came back with our drinks and asked if we were ready to order. Caleb got pancakes, my dad ordered a huge breakfast platter, my mom wanted French toast, and I decided to have a breakfast burrito. I didn't wanna get too much food because I doubted I'd be able to eat it all. My appetite was going up and down from meal to meal, which is kinda unusual for me. Usually I have a great appetite. But I guess nervousness, grief, and worry will do that to you.

"We can go get everything arranged today. The sooner this is over with the better." My dad said, catching my attention. I didn't wanna think about burying my uncle just yet. I still haven't processed his death yet, and judging by my mom's face she was feeling the same way. "Well, I can take you to wherever you need to go today. You two have been driving all of yesterday; you two deserve a break." Caleb said. Our waitress returned with our food and we started eating. I took a few sips of my coffee before I took a bite of my burrito. It tasted good, which seemed to help me get it down. We made small talk as we ate to keep things interesting. When I couldn't eat anymore I reached into my pocket and retrieved my medication. That's when I noticed I needed a refill for my pills. "Um, could you drop me off at the pharmacy today?" I asked Caleb curiously.

"Yeah, sure. What? You need a refill?" He asked with slightly furrowed brows. "Yeah. I hadn't realized until now. I only have a couple pills left." I replied. My parents made the decision to go deal with the funeral arrangements while I went and picked up my medicine. Honestly, I was thankful for that. I didn't wanna sit in some boring office and talk about death all day. So I called in my prescription while my parents went to the bathroom. "I'll make sure someone watches you while we're separated. If anything happens you have my number." Caleb said after I hung up the phone. I nodded in response as I put my phone and pills away. My mom and dad rejoined us before they split the bill.