Epilogue

"Eeeeh? That can't be the end, right?!" A black-haired boy whined when his mother finished the story. "The ending sucks! The mermaid should've stayed with the king! He'd sure chase those bad guys away!"

"Yeah, like how they defeated the pirate king!" The boy's younger brother said ad he playfully pushed his older brother and the next thing they knew, both boys were now wrestling on the sandy beach.

"Kotaro, Hikaru," their mother giggled at their energy. "Stop or one of you might get hurt,"

"We won't get hurt, mama!" The oldest, Hikaru, said as he playfully shoved his younger brother.

"Yeah! Because we're strong!" Kotaro said, "Like Papa is!"

"And like uncle Tenya!" Hikaru said.

"Oh? But you're stronger," A voice joined in and Hikaru yelped in delight when two big arms picked him up and raised him. "Isn't he, Momo? Just a few more years and he might be able to be the king's next knight!"

Momo snorted and rolled his eyes. "The boys just turned seven Tenya, don't get them too excited," he said.

"The king might make an exception," Another voice said as Kotaro was picked up and the younger male squealed.

"Papa!" Kotaro greeted in delight.

"Not you too, Yosetsu," Momo pouted at her husband but the latter had just grinned at him.

"Mama," A voice called and Momo looked down to see their youngest child, and the only daughter looked up at her with hopeful eyes.

"Yes, Yuna?" Momo asked as she gently picked her little girl up with a smile.

"Did... did the mermaid came back to the prince?" Yuna asked innocently and Momo's smile gradually faded as he turned her head to see Shoto sitting on some pile of old boulders he used to hang out at when he was younger while he stared at the horizon with both sadness and longing.

Ten years.

It had been Ten years since Shoto was crowned king and ruler of Yuei and within those five years, he was able to change Yuei for the better. The moment the crown was put upon his head, Shoto's first order was to accept mermaids and those who share blood-- descendants of mermaids and humans. It had caused a bit of a nervous stir but they had managed to the minds and hearts of the people of Yuei who eventually found that mermaids aren't that as dangerous as they were once told.

Eventually, it had been heard all around the world that Yuei was now a safe haven for mermaids and their kind that resulted in the sea creatures taking refuge in its walls. In exchange, Yuei was blessed and protected by mermaids and with Shoto's natural way of ruling, he had influenced their neighboring country to let mermaids into their homes as well. Everything was starting to change and Shoto was finally fulfilling his promise to his mother.

But...

Ten years.

It had also been ten years since Shoto has seen the curly green locks he longed to touch, it had been ten years since he last met those sea-green eyes he had loved staring at, it had been ten years since he traced those freckles as if they were constellation in the night sky...

It had been ten years when Izuku left to return home and within those ten years, Shoto waited every single day at the very beach that they are now standing on-- waiting for Izuku's return just like how he promised he would.

"Mama," Yuna called, "Why does uncle Shoto come here every day? Who is he waiting for?"

Momo smiled, tucking a stray hair behind Yuna's ear. "The prince still waits for the mermaid," she answered.

For the last ten years, it had been the same old scenario for Shoto as he stared into the horizon-- watching the sun go down until its last bit of light was replaced by the faint light coming from the stars and moon.

With a sigh, Shoto stood up and prepared to leave-- seeing that Momo and the others had already gone back to the castle. As he turned his back on the ocean, the sound of water splashing made its way to his ears and welcomed him with a massive wave of nostalgia.

He smiled despite the tears that ran down his face.

Floating along the surface Shoto saw that he was everything he remembered him to be-- his green hair curly and soft, his green eyes shining like the stars and his freckles never left his skin.

In front of him was Izuku-- smiling up at him as he willed himself to change into his human form as he bashfully smiled at Shoto.

The King didn't think twice as he helped Izuku up and wrapped his arms around the smaller male, fighting the tears that rolled down his face.

"You waited..." Izuku whispered as the greenhead started crying as well.

"I promised, didn't I?" Shoto said, "And you came back,"

"Just like how I promised," Izuku answered before wrapping his arms around Shoto's neck as the couple shared their much-awaited kiss that both had been longing for the last years that had passed.

~ *** The End *** ~