15. Sercets and Milkshakes.

Start from the beginning

"I don't break my promises."

*Present day*

All that Nova could remember was being knocked unconscious by a man with no face and being shoved into a freezer.

After a warm shower, I was able to convince her that the ones who attacked her were frat boys that were dared to kidnap the first girl they saw on campus. Though I couldn't explain why they would put her in a freezer.

She swore that she was going to find them. And I was worried because I knew she would.

But for now, she wasn't hurt. She was just pissed and experiencing frostbite.

The one thing she did know was that Vincent wanted me in Italy with him and she was so happy that she rented our favorite spy movie that night. I took the moment and tucked it in my brain as a rare cherished memory since we hadn't sat down and relaxed since we were kids.

Especially since she was my rival. Our paths often clashed at school on the playground. I was in awe of the little pink bow that was forever nestled in her chocolate hair. She was a fish that I loved to look at.

With her friends and wealth it seemed like she had it all. But I will never forget that when playtime was over she looked into the black car with disappointment because her father was again staying late at work. I wanted nothing more than to snatch that bow from her waves and run with it around the lot so annoyance, or any other emotion, replaced the sadness that overcame her face.

I felt reassured when she tugged my hand in hers as she excitedly watched the spies on the screen roll behind a truck. As long as a frown never touched her lips again I could breathe.

Because if she wasn't okay, then I most definitely was not either.

***

Filming for the movie was going well. They'd made a lot of progress and made Ray a very happy and ecstatic producer. So much so that he gave everyone the day off—except for the writers who were the hardest workers on set and the ones who hated Ray the most.

Henry had asked me to come to this ice cream place with him. I was close to declining but Kiana was quick to invite herself and added that I wouldn't mind going.

I hadn't seen either Vincent or Claire today. For Vincent I was glad but for Claire I was worried.

Now we sat in a booth in Valley Scoopers. It was pretty cold considering that it was an ice cream place, but it was a cute shop all the while. It was quiet and only had a few older couples sipping on milkshakes.

The walls were yellow and pink and gave a cozy feeling to the Antarctic place. I was shocked to feel something being put over my shoulders.

"I'm fine." I tried giving the jacket back to Henry but he kept the warm green hoodie on me. I let it stay and welcomed the warmth it brought and the minty smell it gave.

But it wasn't like the strong aura that came off Vincent. The spicy scent should've disgusted me, but it was compelling. So compelling that I could throw up.

"Here you are."

The waitress sat our frozen treats in front of us and Kiana's eyes showed true child wonder as they gazed upon her cookie dough ice cream.

The woman slid over my peanut butter ice cream and Henry's vanilla milkshake which we were quick to indulge in.

"So, Henry, are you excited for your trip?" Kiana spoke up trying not to eat her ice cream too quickly.

"Why wouldn't I be? I get to visit home and see my family. I want to make sure I do my part and give back to those who need it most."

Henry was a nice guy. He wasn't selfish and didn't mind showing people that he cared. I thought he was just a flirt but he was flying across the world to help others.