Chapter Seven

He hung up on Archie and put her phone in his back pocket.

"What money?" Her voice was shaky, eyes were glossy from the chilled air, and she adjusted her body on the cold pavement. Trying to avoid directly touching her knee to the ground, she pushed herself up with her hands but was quickly knocked back down by a set of firm hands.

She looked up and saw Sweet Pea standing over her.

"Get her up," Jughead growled, and she jolted her arms forward as Sweet Pea aggressively pulled her up to her feet.

Betty whined in response to his firm grip, and Jughead walked over to her. She kept her eyes glued to the ground, terrified to look at him.

He stood right in front of her, brought his finger up to her chin, and delicately tilted it up. The surprisingly soft gesture caused her to look him in the eyes. He took his hand away, but his soft gaze stayed on her, and every single molecule in her body multiplied.

He bent down right in front of her; her eyes followed as he examined the blood dripping down her lower leg.

He tenderly ran his thumb over the dripped blood on her shin, trying to wipe it away, but only caused it to smear -- the odd gesture seemed as if he was worried. She let out a soft whimper in response, and he quickly tilted his head up to meet her distressed expression. She gave him a pleading look before she looked back down at her wounded knee, and his brooding expression started to fade.

He wiped his jeans, trying to get the blood off his thumb and stood back up. Staring coldly at Sweet Pea, he said, "I want you three to take her back to the Wyrm, get her cleaned up, and don't hurt her unless I tell you to, got it?" He warned as he pointed his finger directly at Sweet Pea.

Sweet Pea huffed, then nodded in agreement as he tried to pull Betty away.

"Wait..." The tone of her voice was desperate, and she finally let out a tear that slipped down her cheek.

"What are you going to do with me?" She jerked her arms away from Sweet Pea's grip, managing to escape and pressed her body against Jughead's despairingly. "Please..." She softened her voice like an angel trying to outwit the devil as her face stationed just a few inches in front of his.

Jughead looked away, trying to ignore the fear that turned her eyes black, then glowered at Sweet Pea.

"Don't do this," she choked, and Sweet Pea grabbed ahold of her arm again and aggressively yanked her back.

"No!" She yelled, water droplets peaking through her tear ducts as Sweet Pea tried to turn her around and pull her away.

She fought against him, but he was much stronger than her. "Jughead!" She blurted.

Sweet Pea froze and looked up at the man Betty was calling out to. Jughead had his back turned to them, fists clenched together at his sides as he turned his head dreadfully slow.

Betty had never called him by his name before -- It was odd saying it out loud, but she was begging for her life. It was a risk getting personal with him, trying to dig under his skin and tug at his heart, but it was a risk she was willing to take. 

She caught his eyes; the blood left her face when she saw how angry he looked at her.

"What did you just call me?"

She swallowed hard; lips quivered as she hesitated to repeat his name.

He walked back over to her, wiping the blade of his knife against his jeans, and held it up in front of him. "Where did you hear that name from?"