Chapter 14

Doctor Laura's POV

Interns suck. I got stuck this month with a pre-Med and I have to train him. I even call him Intern, I don't think I know what his name is, maybe Clyde? But that's what you get for being the best doctor around!

It was so nice to see the Curtis kids back together again. I was starting to think that they would never tell Hailey that she is their sister. I remember their parents bringing Darrel, Soda and Hailey (*remember Pony wasn't born yet!) in for a monthly check up. While they were waiting, they would run around here playing with the toys. One time a little boy went up to Hailey and scratch her, Soda was on top of him before the boy could say 'momma'. His father had to pull him off the boy. After he calmed down and checked Hailey to make sure she was okay. After her protests of saying he was fine, he let her back to play but he didn't leave her side. Another time they visited, Hailey was sick so she was really tiered. Soda sat on a chair and put her head in his lap while holding her and she fell asleep. Even when they were younger, Soda was so protective over Hailey, it was so cute.

I was taken away from my thoughts when Intern came into the room. "Miss we have an emergency in room 460!" I jumped up from my chair and dashed out to Darrel's room. There was blood that covered the white sheets that were on him, and Hailey was standing there crying and looking away. "I need you to leave the room." I told the kids. Obviously Hailey wouldn't leave without a fight. She punched out TWO of the nurses on my team before Soda dragged her out if the room. Once they were gone Darry stopped breathing shallowly and was calm. I did some tests and everything was fine. "Darry you are fine! I don't know how but nothing is wrong at all!" So why dod the previous results I got back say he only had 40% chance of living? The Intern! He was the one that gave me the results back! He must have given me the Curtil results not the Curtis results! Ugh! Stupid!

The door opened and in came Intern. Speak of the devil. "M'am?" "Yes Intern?" I replied "Um Mario Curtil's heart just failed, we couldn't get it going again." Just another day on the job I told myself. "Alright go tell his family." With that he left to deliver the news.

Intern's POV

I don't know why doctor Laura calls me Intern. I've told her my name. 5 times! My name is Michael. I'm not very good at this doctory stuff I never wanted to be a doctor I wanted to be a ballerina. I know it sounds girly but I just love the graceful movements and passion behind the dance. But of course my father said 'no way in hell, will any son of mine be a sissy ballerina!' So now I'm here as an intern. Doctor Laura has sent me to tell the Curtil family that Mario Curtil is dead. It's gonna be hard for them to take. I mean he was 87 but he looked like he was 50.

I marched up to the er, kids? Sitting in the waiting room. The girl looked so sad and when she spotted me her eyes light up with hope. Two other boys came and stood behind her and the youngest boy. The blond one with blue eyes but his hands and the girl's shoulders as if he was reassuring her. That must be her boyfriend, damn it, she's kinda cute. Anyways... "Spit it out already Doc!" Blond hair snapped. "I'm sorry to say this but, he is dead." The girl had tears rolling down her cheeks and she looked at the youngest boy who was also crying. She scooted over and held him in a tight hug, then the middle boy hugged then as well. Just then doctor Laura came running over.

Hailey's POV

He can't be dead! I just found our he's my brother! My brother! He can't leave now! I turned to Pony who was also crying and put my arms around him, then I felt another pair of arms around us. Sodapop. I heard feet pounding on the ground, I guess it's normal I mean it is a hospital, maybe there's an emergency. Just then Dal spoke up "um guys?" All three of us looked up from our sad hug. Doctor Laura was standing there screaming at the other doctor. She then came over and sat beside me. "I'm so sorry for that bozo. He's an intern and he gets confused very easily. Darry did not die an he won't die. Intern, that's what I call him," she laughed "mixed up Darrel Curtis's charts with and elder man named Mario Curtil. The last names sound similar, but that is still not an excuse for the major mistake he made." She looked from me to Pony to Soda. "So Darry isn't dead?" I tried to sound confident but it came out as a whisper. "No he's not. He's perfectly fine actually. Well just cuts and bruises." He's not dead! I scream in my head. "Can we see him?" Pony asked. "Sure he's been waiting for you." Laura replied. I was so happy, but then I remembered the blood he coughed up. Soda and Ponyboy headed towards the room, while I stayed behind. "Doctor Laura, what about the blood he coughed up?" She looked confused but then said "oh don't worry sweet heart! That was just some blood that may have been in his throat, maybe he swallowed some by accident." Then. She got up and left to do some doctor stuff. I looked at Dally and he just shrugged his shoulders then pulled me into a hug. I buried my face in his chest and whispered, mostly to myself "he okay."