Chapter 11

Hailey's POV

What?! I'm dreaming. He doesn't feel this way. I'm either going to wake up in my bed or the couch, or he is going to start laughing an say he was just kidding. "Earth to Hailey!" I was brought back to the world an saw Dally waving his hand in front of my face. "Yeah. Huh? Sorry" I looked down at the ground. It was quite interesting all of a sudden. Black pavement, with little rocks... Who am I kidding. I looked back up and into his eyes. He looked, sincere, nervous, doubtful. "I-I" I didn't know what to say. " I knew it! I had no shot with you!"

"No Dally. Your wrong." I said before I could stop myself. I can't show or tell him I like him. He'll just do what he does to every other girl. Uses them, then loses them. That can't happen to me, I don't let people do that to me. Gosh what is wrong with me. Clearly my mind was talking for me and I had no control over what I was saying, no filter.

"Dallas, you do have a shot with me, because ever since two summers ago I knew I felt something towards you. Then you went and stopped talkin' to me, I didn't know what that meant so I tried to forget you. That didn't work, it just kept me thinkin' about how much I like you." He looked up from the ground a the doubtful look was gone from his eyes. It was replaced with hope. "But, I will not be one of those girls that you use then lose." He kept looking at me then after awhile of silence he said " that won't happen, I care too much about you, so Hailey, will you be my girl?" My brain is telling me to say no, I know what Dallas Winston is like. He gets drunk, causes trouble, goes into the cooler for months at a time and sleeps around with more girls then I could imagine. But then my heart is telling me to say yes. It's telling me to ignore all of the negatives and look at the positives.

I've made up my mind. "Dallas, I want to say yes, but" I was interrupted when Dally crashed his lips onto mine. I was shocked but didn't hesitate to kiss back. The kiss didn't feel like one I've had before. It wasn't a kiss out of lust, it was one out of passion, and love? "Yes I will be your girl." He grinned and then grabbed my waist and twirled me around. He put me back down on the ground and took a ring off of his finger. He took my small hand in his and slipped the ring onto my finger. Now it's official. We just have to tell the gang, I wonder what they'll say. But really, who cares?

-

We got back to the Curtis house and it smelled really good. Darry's cookin'. Dally went to sit on the couch next to Pony and Johnny. Dal leant in and whispered something to Johnny then Johnnycake hit Pony, all three of them looked up at me, then my hand. They started grinning. I rolled my eyes and mouthed shut up because Dally and I wanted to wait until someone pointed out that I have his ring on. I walked into the kitchen to see if I could help Darry with dinner. "Hey Dar bear! Can I help with supper?" I asked as I jumped up onto the counter. "Sure. We are having spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread." He said while mixing spices into the sauce. I started to roll the meat out to start the meat balls when Darry cleared his throat. "So Hailey, you known your under aged and you need a guardian. Dakota was you guardian when your parents died, but you're living here now. I was thinkin' I could become your guardian, cause of not you would have to go to a girls home." Wow way to make things depressing Darry. "Yeah. I would love you to become my guardian, you were always better to me then Dakota was anyways." I turned my back to get the bread from the bread box. When I turned back around Darry had stopped cooking and was facing me, concern clearly in his eyes. "What do you mean?" Oh yeah.. I never took anyone that it wasn't the first time something like this happened between Dakota and I. "Well, this kinda wasn't the first time something like this has happened." I heard footsteps behind me and turned to see Soda. He raised an eyebrow as if to say continue and walked over to where Darry was standing. "It happened every time he got drunk. He would beat me. But he would be too drunk to remember and in the morning he didn't know what happened so I would always tell him I got into a fight or something at school." I turned away from Darry and Soda back to the counter to start cutting the bread, mostly cause I didn't want to show that I had a tear running down my cheek. "Why didn't you leave and come here as soon as it started?" Darry questioned then Soda added "Yeah, why would you stay and be treated like that?" Why wouldn't they just drop the subject already I don't want to talk about this! "Because he was the only family I had left after my parents died. I was scared, but I thought he would realize everything and stop. Then I realized he wouldn't." I replied as a grabbed the garlic butter and cheese out of the fridge. I went rummaging through the cabinet for the cheese grater when I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. Then another. "We're sorry Hailey." Darry and Soda said in unison. "It's ok lets just stop talking about it ok?" The both nodded their heads.

-

"Dinner's ready!" Darry and I shouted. The whole gang came running in. "Darry you sit. I'll hand out the plates. And it wasn't a question." Once everyone was seated, minus me. I put the spaghetti on the plates and then then the sauce on top of the noodles. Well on all the plates except mine and Pony's, both of us hate spaghetti sauce. I carried all the plates over to the table like a waitress. The first person I gave their plate to was Steve, he saw my hand and his eyes widen. He looked at me an I gave him a look that said 'stay quiet or I kill you' he immediately went back to normal and started stuffing his face. The next person I handed a plate to was Two-Bit. But he's to dumb to realize a small detail like a ring. The next people I handed their plates to were Pony, Johnny and Dally. Clearly they already know I have the ring so it isn't a big deal. Then it was time to give it to Darry and Soda. I rapidly placed the plates in front of them, but before I could turn away, "Hailey Curtis! Why do you have Dally's ring on?" Soda demanded as he jumped out of his chair. Darry jumped up as well. "Because he asked me to be his girl." I replied nonchalantly as I sat down to enjoy my meal. "Why would he do that when he's dating Sylvia?" Who's Sylvia?! "W-who?" Damn it I stuttered, mostly cause there were tears in my eyes. " Sylvia, the dumb broad he's been dating for like a year and a half!" Soda shouted. I looked over at Dally, he looked like he wanted to say something, but he didn't. So it's true. "I told you Dallas Winston, that I would not be one of those girls you use but then lose. You lied to me! Have your stupid ring back, I bet Sylvia has one too. Just give this one to the next dumb girl who falls for you!" I threw the ring at him then ran off into the night. The sun just set. I shouldn't be out here when it dark, its too dangerous. Although I have my switchblade. I went to the park and sat on a swing to process everything that happened today.

Sodapop's POV

Well that diner escalated quickly. Hailey ran out of the house and I ran out after her but when I got there she was already gone. I walked back into the house and walked up straight to Dally. Before he could say a word my fist collided with his face. When he looked up he had a busted lip and had blood dripping down the corner of his mouth. Good that'll show him to trick my sister. "You idiot, you know nothing. I dumped Sylvia." He said and then spit out blood. "What?"
"I caught her two timing me, again, so I got rid of her, but mostly cause I like Hailey." I felt all color leave my face, Hailey is going to be angry with me when she finds out. But she won't be able to find out unless we find her. "I'm sorry Dal. I was just tryin' to protect her." I meant it I didn't want to see Hailey hurt. "Yeah I know. Now we have to find her." He replied. He looked mad but he'll get over it once we find her and explain. "I'll go look at the park." Then I rushed out the door.

Hey y'all! I know I haven't posted in a while but I had a case of writers block! :( But it's passed and here is a new chapter! Enjoy and thanks for reading!
~Hailey 😘