Chapter 13

Hailey's POV

"He's bleeding out too much! We need to get him to the hospital!" I screamed. I've been screaming and crying for a long time and my throat is starting to hurt. "Guys! We gotta tell the gang!" I called to Soda and Dally. "Yeah yeah I know! We'll call 'em when we get to the hospital." Soda replied. I still can't believe what's happening. First I was having the best kiss of my life, with the love of my life. Now I'm here, following the trail of blood, a lot of blood to the hospital.

-

We reached the emergency entrance, as we walked in with the now limp body in the boys hands, doctors and nurses ran towards us. Two men brought over a hospital bed. I didn't see what happened next because I was pulled aside by a doctor. "Hi I'm doctor Laura. I'm going to need you to answer some simple questions, alright?" She asked me sweetly. "Fine. Only if you'll answer some of mine." I replied. "Alright, how did you find him? Do you know him? Could you tell how much blood he lost?" Damn this feels like a police interrogation, and I know a thing or two about those. "I heard him calling my cousin and boyfriend's names and so I ran to see what was wrong. Yes I know him. And I don't know! I'm not a doctor! I think a lot?!" I started getting angry I just want to go see how he was! If he died it was my fault because I ran away and they were all out looking for me! She continued asking simple questions like his name, age and so on. Finally she shut up and left the floor to me to ask the questions! "How badly is be injured? Is he going to die? What's happening!" I started to feel tears on my cheeks and anger boiling up inside of me. "At the moment I don't know. When I find out I will tell you." How could a doctor not know? She continued to speak, "go have a seat in the waiting room and I will come out to talk more later." With that she left. I turned and walked into the waiting room like I was told to do. When I arrived the gang was there. They all looked like they were crying or about to, I probably looked the worst. Dally motioned me to go over an sit beside him but I shook my head and went over to Sodapop. His head was in his hands and there were little wet spots around him, which I'm guessing is tears that hit the floor. He heard me coming over and looked up. His eyes were blood shot and swollen, his face was pale and had red splotches in different places. "Oh Soda." I said as I sat down and wrapped my arms around him. He did the same to me, then we both started crying.

-

I woke up to someone shaking me. Ugh. Leave. Me. Be. I sat up and realized I was still in the hospital waiting room, the person that was shaking me was Doctor Laura. I looked again and saw that the gang was still here. Although I wasn't in Soda's arms anymore. I was in Dally's and I didn't even see Sodapop. The doctor told me to get up and follow her. She stopped at the nurses station and picked up a clipboard. "He has multiply stab wounds. There is one that pierced his lung, and he has lost a lot of blood." She told me with a sad look on her face. "There's more. Isn't there?" She nodded her head. "I'm sorry to tell you this but," she hesitated. "But, he only has a 40% chance of living. I suggest you go see him while you can, his room number is 460." (A/N any divergent fans?!) after doctor Laura told me he only has a 40% chance of living I raced up to the room he was in.

-

When I got there Soda was in a chair next to him. "Hi Darry." I whispered. Both boys looked up at me. He looked terrible. His face was as white as a ghost and that made the redy-purple bags under his eyes pop. His lips had gone a shade between blue and pink and his whole face looked thin. "Hi baby girl." He replied with a hoarse voice. He turned back to Soda and nodded his head then Soda got up to leave. "I love you kid." He said to me as he walked out of the room. "Come sit Hailey. I need to give you something, it's important."

-

Soda's POV

After crying, Hailey fell asleep in my arms. Gosh, she's been here about two days and look at everything that's happened. She got jumped even before she was in Tulsa, Ponyboy started an argument with her, she's started dating Dallas Winston, she fell in love with Dallas, I broke her and Dally up, now Darry is in the hospital. I was brought out of my thoughts when a lady, who I guess was the doctor, came over and was about to wake up Hailey. "Don't wake her." I whispered. The doctor nodded her head and motioned me to follow her. I picked up Hailey and carried her over to Dally and poked his face. He woke up startled and I placed Hailey next to him, he wrapped an arm around her and pulled her closer to him. A smile spread across her face. I went over to where the doctor was standing. "Hello I'm doctor Laura. I spoke to your sister before." I was taken back by her last comment. No one except family and the gang know that Hailey is my sister. The doctor must have seen the look on my face because she smiled and said, "I was the one that delivered her. I know who the mother, father and siblings are sweetheart." That makes sense. "Ok so what is this about?" I asked getting back to the point of coming over here. "Ah yes! Well, This is difficult to say young man, but Darrel Curtis only has a 40% chance of surviving. You might want to go see him while you still can. And maybe deal with things that need to be felt with. His room number is 460." Then she walked away. I hurried to Darry's room and walked inside. Before I could say anything he looked up at me and said "we have to tell her Soda. If I'm going to die, I want her to know." Hearing him saying he knows he is going to die made tears fill my eyes. "Go to the house and get the pink envelope out of the top drawer of my desk." He said sternly but his eyes were pleading like a little kid asking for candy. "Alright." I started to walk out but hesitated "I love you Darry." I said then left.