Chapter 18: Fallin' Love

"Where have you been?" I asked Chara. She walked towards me.

"I was planning a little surprise for you," she answered, "Ionia, cue the music please."

"Right away, darling. <3" Ionia responded. I saw her hit a jukebox. Peaceful music started to play. Chara put her hand out.

"May I take this dance?" she asked me. I started to blush.

"Sure," I said. I held her hand and put my other hand on her waist. Chara put her other hand on my shoulder and we started to dance.

"So, your journey's about to be over soon?" Chara asked me.

"Is it?" I responded, "I didn't think it was going to be over so soon."

"All you have left to do is to go through the CORE and then you'll be at the King's palace and his home," Chara explained.

"Oh," I said, "I don't want it to end so soon. I made so many new friends. I thought they were going to kill me."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Chara said, turning her head down "King Flint will use the SOUL extractor on you, and then you'll be gone. Just like that. Every monster that fell here has met the same fate. I wish I could've saved them."

"It's okay," I told her, lifting her head up, "We are just kids after all. It's best if we try to make the most of it before we get old." She smiled slightly.

"I'm glad you think that," she said to me, "I wish I could be more like you sometimes." I twirled her around.

"Hehe," I said, "That's funny. Because sometimes, I wish I could be more like you. You're so brave and determined. I'm barely able to stay courageous." Chara blushed a bit. 

"You're sweet," she told me, "Did you know that?"

"I think I did," I said blushing. Chara giggled.

"There's something I want to give you," she told me, "Will you accept it?" She pulled me in a bit closer and then...

...she kissed me on the lips. Not really knowing what was going on, I kissed her back. Then, she stopped and giggled again.

"You're fur tickles," she said, "I wanted to tell you this for a while now, but I love you." I blushed even more, so much that my face was pink.

"I love you too," I said back.

"Asriel," Chara began, "I want to finish this journey together. I don't want to leave your side. Is that okay with you?"

"Yes," I said softly. Then I gave her a hug, and she hugged me back. The music stopped.

"My my," Ionia said, "Why isn't this romantic <3. I think I'm gonna cry now." We stopped hugging.

"I think it's time to go," Chara said, "We're about to go to DCMC Resort."

"Okay," I said. I followed Chara to the entrance of an amazing hotel. As we were about to enter, I saw Ness next to the door.

"Hey kid," he said to me, "I haven't seen you for a while. How about you come to dinner with me."

"Is that okay, Chara?" I asked.

"Sure," she said, "We've got plenty of time."

"Cool," Ness said, "Follow me. I know a shortcut." We followed Ness through the back alley and somehow ended up in the restaurant. We sat down at the table in the center.

"So," Ness began, "You're journey is about to be over, eh? I remember being your age. I went on lots of journeys. Of course, I never really left town."

"Heh," I said.

"You know," Ness continued, "I'm gonna miss you when you're gone. I know we didn't really hang out much, but I want to give this to you." He handed me a badge of some sort.

"This is the Franklin Badge," he explained, "Used by Benjamin Franklin himself when conducting lightning experiments. I know this badge will help keep you safe."

"Thanks," I said as I took the badge.

"No problem," Ness replied, "When you fight King Flint, be sure to wear that badge to deflect his lightning attacks."

"Okay," I said.

"About that," Chara budded, "I have decided to go with him."

"Is that so?" Ness said, "Well, I guess I've been stalling on this, but I want to tell you two a story. I'm guessing you already know, but I love cracking jokes, a lot. I'm also a sentry in Snowdin, you know, on the lookout for monsters that fall down here. Anyways I saw this big door, and I went over to it. I had no idea where it went, but I knew that it was really good for practicing knock-knock jokes. So every day, I go there and practice, but one day I said 'knock-knock', and a woman answered me from the other side. 'Who's there?' So naturally I say 'Orange'. 'Orange who?' 'Orange you glad I asked this joke?' And then she starts laughing, way more than a normal person would. Then she told me one. 'Knock-knock.' 'Who's there?' 'Cash.' Cash-who?' 'No thanks, I'm allergic.' And then I started laughing. Then, every day, we would meet at the same time, telling jokes to each other. But then, one day, she didn't laugh as hard as she usually did. So I asked her what was wrong, and her very words changed everything. 'If a monster comes through these doors, please promise me to protect them with your life.' Now, making promises isn't really my thing, but I am great at keeping promises. So I said okay. Now let me tell you, if I hadn't made that promise...Y o u ' d  b e  d e a d  r i g h t  w h e r e  y o u  s t a n d." Shivers went down my spine.

"What's the matter?" Ness asked me, "Oh, don't worry. I'm not going to hurt you. I actually care about you a lot. That's what I want to let you know, so be careful okay?"

"Okay," I said.

"I gotta go," Ness said, "Lucas is probably wondering where I went. So, see you later."

"Bye," I said. Chara and I left the restaurant and ended up in the hotel lobby.

"Ready to go to the CORE?" Chara asked me.

"Ready," I said. Then we approached the exit, labeled "CORE".