Chapter 12: Deep Darkness

"Saturn Village?" I said confused. I thought only humans lived and a few other animals lived down here. I wasn't expecting to see these types of creatures in the underground.

"Chara? Do you know how these creatures got here?" I asked.

"No one really knows," Chara answered, "They just kind of showed up one day, and now they live here."

"We sealed underground," one of the Mr. Saturns said, "We trapped. Boing!" 

"We have Saturn Shop. Zoom!" another one said.

"Strange speech patterns," I said.

"Visit Saturn Shop?" one of them asked me.

"Sure," I said.

"Kay-o," it responded. We followed Mr. Saturn to the Saturn Shop, run by another Mr. Saturn of course.

"Welcome to Saturn Shop," the shopkeeper Saturn said, "Find something you like? Would like to sell?" I looked at everything I could buy. All they had were something called "Saturn Flakes."

"What are Saturn Flakes?" I asked.

"Those Saturn Flakes," it said, "They interesting?"

"What's interesting to me is the three different prices," Chara said.

"And they're just colored construction paper," Ninten added.

"Why?" I asked.

"You no like?" Mr. Saturn said.

"I'll buy the cheapest one," Chara said. She pulled out 1 DP from her dress pocket and placed it on the counter.

"I'll take 5," she said.

"Oh. You thank!" Mr. Saturn said. We smiled as we left the shop.

"They seem friendly," I said.

"But very confusing," Chara added, "What am I even supposed to do with this?" She put the Saturn Flakes into her pocket.

"What do you say we get out of here and go find Kumatora," she continued.

"Yeah," Ninten and I said. We left the Village and took the other path. It got darker and darker as we kept walking along the path of light. Eventually, the light path was gone. All that was left for us to see was an echo flower in the distance. Having courage and faith, I walked over to the echo flower. Chara and Ninten followed. I put my hand up to it to hear it, but then I heard Kumatora's voice.

"Behind you," she said. The room lit up again. I turned around and saw Kumatora standing there.

"Seven monster SOULs," she said, "And our king will be able to set us free. That's what the legends say. Are they true? There's only one way to find out." She approached us and summoned a spear. I was scared to death, but Ninten seemed fine. He was enjoying seeing her up close for once. Chara stepped in front of me and cast up a magical shield.

"Don't you dare lay a finger on him!" she shouted.

"You're a determined one, aren't you?" she said, "Why are you protecting him? Don't you know that he's a monster?" 

"Maybe we're the monsters," Chara defended, "I've been here the whole time with him, and he hasn't hurt anybody."

"You really don't get it, do you," Kumatora responded, "Monsters took everything away from us. The surface, our freedom, our hopes and dreams!"

"I don't believe one bit of that," Chara said, "Sure, they did take the surface from us, but that doesn't mean we have to kill every single one that falls down here. This one is actually rather nice. I think he will save us all."

"Maybe you're right," Kumatora said, sounding hopeful. But then she shoved Chara out of the way and grabbed me by the shirt collar.

"He will free us all," she said evilly, "Once we take his SOUL of course!" I struggled to break free from her tight grasp. She placed her spear up next to my heart. Tears were flowing down my eyes. My life was going to end right here, but then she stopped, and withdrew her spear. She put me back on the ground. I ran over to Chara to see how she was doing.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"I'm fine," Chara said. Kumatora took off her helmet, revealing her hot pink hair.

"I can't just kill you without putting up a fight first," she said, "That wouldn't be fair. I'll let you go for now. Don't think I'm letting you off the hook though. I'll see you at the end of Waterfall for a proper fight." She walked away turning to the right, showing us a pathway to the end of Waterfall.

"I've never been so scared in all of my life," I said, "I could've died."

"I was right," Chara said, "Maybe she can be reasoned with."