Chapter 38: The truth

Start from the beginning

Lucy sat back in her chair, shrugging again. "I mean, its France. Remember how much fun we had last time? You love France. I love France. We all...love...France..." her voice trailed off defeatedly as she didn't see any sign of interest in Keira's eyes.

"Sure, but we're not kids anymore, Luce. We...we have a kid, and busy lives..."

"The kid's not the problem," Lucy pointed out. "She's one of the reasons why I wanna go to France. Milly's, what? One years old now?"

Keira rolled her eyes again. "For gods sake! 'Milly's, WhAt? OnE yEaRs oLd nOw?' " she mimicked. "She's one year and 2 months."

Lucy smiled. "Even better. I think its time we take Milly to her home country for...you know...a holiday...since she's 1 now." She looked at Keira expectantly. "And 2 months," she added hastily.

Keira sipped her water. "You know we cant do that."

"Why the f##k not?" Lucy demanded. "Tell me, I'm genuinely curious. We are...2 of the best footballers in the world."

"Were," Keira cut in.

"What?" sighed Lucy.

"Were. You're retired."

Lucy rubbed her forehead. "Ok. Anyways. The point is, we got all the right to go to France for a holiday. We work hard and have the money. And its been awhile since we got away, and our daughter is from France and now that she's a significant age we should show her the country she was born in!"

"She wasn't significant before?"

Lucy scoffed. "Keira, for gods sake."

Keira laughed. "I'm just messing, Lucy!"

Lucy sighed, a little smile on her face. "Where are those dam drinks when you need it!"

Keira laughed at her fiancé and they both sat in silence for a bit. Leaning forward on the table, resting her chin in her hands, Keira narrowed her eyes at Lucy. "What's bothering you, Luce."

"What do you mean, Kei?"

"You know what I mean."

Lucy took a deep breath. She wanted to be real with Keira, she wanted to tell all. But she couldn't bring herself to do it. Again, she was hiding from the truth. "I just..." she began emotionally. She reached over and took Keira's hand, speaking softly. "I just don't understand why you don't want to go to France." She pulled an expression of pathetic sadness, hoping to either make Keira laugh or make her genuinely sympathetic.

Keira pulled her hand away. "Ohhhh my god, Lucy." She tipped her head back, groaning but Lucy could tell she was trying not to smile. "We are busy! We have very busy lives. I'm busy at City, your busy at your little football club, we're busy with Milly---"

"Busy, busy, busy," Lucy mimicked, pulling back Keira's hand and holding it to her cheek. "Is that all?"

"Lucia Bronze, I'm serious! Might be news to you, but I have an actual career at Manchester City!" She leaned in so that her nose almost touched Lucy's. "So do you! You have an actual job to do at the Stretford...whatever FC! Lucy, guess what! We have responsibilities!"

"But France," Lucy whined. She was being playful with Keira but was actually desperate to get Keira on board with the idea of France so she could bring up Lyon, as a surprise not an announcement.

Keira sighed. "Lucy, sometimes I don't know what to do with you." She fidgeted with the ring on her finger. "I mean, I'm on a real high here at City, and so are you with your coaching. You've finally hit your stride with the girls at the Stretford Union Blues and I think I've really grown, too, as a player. I'm the best I've ever been, Luce. I cant take time off like that. You know that."