"True, but that proves that they know that you are innocent. Cold-hearted bastards. And worse, they did not care," Dale muttered. "Still I'm surprised that no one has used it in your defense. After all. If the other party refused to allow you to be Noscered then that is rather solid evidence that you are innocent."

"Yeah, that occurred to me as well," said Blake grimly.

"Pity, I had just started to think you were alright."

"Are you going to cry by my bed when I become a vegetable?"

"I might even bring a napkin."

Both chuckled as they both knew that would never happen.

*****

Elliott sighed and rubbed his temples. Owen just looked grimly at the court. They had both gone to the trial but also soon regretted it as it was a farce. The representative of the coven, which was already a joke as it should have been a druid, made claims after claims. Throwing out lies after lies. All without evidence and no one seemed to care. Even the Harwens were quiet even though they clearly did not like it.

Idris Nemain was trying to bring order out of chaos but was constantly pressured by his peers coming all the way from his own coven to accept the "truth" and if he didn't they accused him of being impartial and threaten to have him dismissed.

This was no trial and the result was already written on the wall. Fortunately, Nemain had kept his promise and announced that Blake claimed to be innocent. Worked out of that angle. It was now time for Leon Graycrest to be questioned as he was a key witness to the incident last year and to Blake's character.

Elliott could only pray that Leon had not been forced to lie in order to save himself. It was clear from Scarlett Graycrest's contented expression that she fully expected him to do so.

"So you know Blake Oakley well?" Nemain asked.

"He is my friend and a student of mine. I am teaching him fire elementalism," Leon replied without changing his expression.

"Close enough that you might lie to protect him?"

Elliott frowned before he realized what Nemain was after. It sounds like damning question but it also means that he wasn't a reliable witness which would get him dismissed. If he said no, that means that he wasn't close enough to be of use and if he said yes, he was compromised. Leon had gotten way out of this situation.

Leon seemingly understood as well and opened his mouth to seal the deal.

"Objection, Justicar! You are twisting the question to dismiss him. Do you take me for a fool?" Scarlett yelled out loudly and Elliott grimaced at the old hag.

"Stop screaming in the An Ciorcal like it is some common whorehouse. This is the sacred court of the Circle. Do not speak out of turn," an old woman said among the circle members. Elliott recognized her as the leader of the Harwens.

"Quite so, lady Harwen," Nemain said with a bow to the old woman. He seemed to hesitate for a while before continuing.

"Please answer the question, Leon."

"He is one of my closest friends," Leon said without hesitation. Nemain frowned and Elliott mirrored his expression. That wasn't really an answer... At least one that they can use. Leon's mother seemed pleased and sat down.

"Enough that you would lie for him?" Nemain repeated the question.

"Please, proceed Justicar. He has already answered the question," Scarlett chippered and got a glare from the Matriarch of the Harwens. She merely ignored it as she was fully contented again.