Regarding This Wedding

Beginne am Anfang

There is that word again.

"I'm offering 51 as an alternative venue" Boden explains, "an alternate venue?" Riddles questions, "Wallace this a firehouse not the champagne room at the Radisson" he comments as we sit there awkwardly, not really knowing what to do as our Chief gets told off. 

"I'm aware of that" Boden states, "I know it's a little unorthodox but I thought I would offer it" he defends.

"Well then maybe you should pull the plug" Riddles instructs. 

"That would be a very big blow to the bride" Boden declines, "the groom is laid up in med" he adds. 

"Sorry, I didn't realise I was needed in this meeting" Patterson walks in. 

I don't think you are needed at all, personally. 

"We're here to discuss Severide's lieutenancy and the rest of Lewis' candidacy" Riddles sits down. 

"Did you pass your re-training, Lewis?" Riddles turns to me, "highest grade in the class" I answer, "instructor Michelson said he would be contacting you personally to tell you about my progress" I tell him. 

"What about you? Did you pass your course, Severide?" Riddles asks, "with flying colours sir" Severide affirms, "your office is getting a copy of my final review" he adds. 

"Well congratulations to the both of you," Riddles says but it means absolutely nothing. 

"Lewis, I see that your bandages are off" Riddles gestures to my wrist, "yes" I nod, "and I have fully healed" I tell him. 

"I am still concerned about the fact you are so injury-prone" Riddles states, "I heard you fell down the stairs at training" he comments, "I did not fall, I was pushed" I correct him,  "by a firefighter whose only chance of beating me was pushing me out of the way" I add. 

"Still," Riddles remarks, "I am not confident that you should be allowed off of this probationary period just yet" he informs me. 

"And why is that?" I question, arms crossed. 

"You are a hazard to yourself and your fellow firefighters" he bullshits. 

"Am I now?" I question, "Is that what Patterson told you?" I turn to look around at Patterson, who avoids eye-contact. "How convenient that he misses out all the good work I have done in all the other shifts" I roll my eyes. 

"This has nothing to do with Captain Patterson" Riddles states. 

"Sure it doesn't" I remark, "but it has everything to do with the fact I am a woman" I state. 

"Lewis!" Boden warns me. 

"No!" I exclaim, "you can not tell me that all of this isn't because of the inherent doubts you have about my ability because you don't think that women belong on squad" I state. 

"That is not true" Riddles disagrees. 

"So tell me why in all of the firehouses in Chicago, only 9 have a female firefighter on their Squad team?" I point out and they can't seem to answer. 

"If I was a man, you wouldn't give me a second glance" I state, "Lewis!" Boden warns me again, this time louder. "And I also wouldn't be penalised purely because-" I stop myself from revealing the truth about why I am being penalised.