Chapter Five: "Golden Red and Ice"

Start from the beginning

The diamond-like shape of the room allowed Kara to have another window, facing the trees of the Municipal Park of Argo City. Through this one, sunlight was getting into, covering almost every surface of the Kryptonian woman's room. The bed, on which he was seated, laid in the proximity of that window and it was one of the first things that got to be sunbathed at that late hour in the day. The mattress was one of the biggest and softest ones he had ever seen and felt under his fingers and was covered in lilac and magenta bed sheets. At the head of the bed, stood a lined headboard that matched the neutral colour already present in the room. The walls were paler than the furniture inside the suite, almost white, with the exception being the one behind the bed, which was a dark grey, almost black.

The dark wall had a painting with the Rao System on it. With Boron being the first, a small brown planet, closest to the sun, followed by a slightly bigger Phalon of a yellow just like a sunflower. Thalon followed, bigger than Phalon, and was covered by a sapphire blue colour, that shew that the planet was indeed made only of water. Thalon, because of its proximity to Daxam and the so-called circle of life of the system, was the first planet in the system that had a population, but only inside the Polar Circles. Following was the infamous planet of a furious red with lines of gold, which were, in fact, ancient walls, created to divide the planet into kingdoms. Daxam, bigger than Thalon, but smaller than Krypton, was a world of whose population had the opportunity to experience four seasons, winter, spring, summer and autumn. The biggest planet in the system of an ice-like colour was next. Krypton stood out proudly surrounded by Daxam's two moons, Galatea and Lunae and its own, Wegthor, Koron, Xenon and Mithen. Krypton, just like the colour of its atmosphere, was a cold planet, with also four seasons. One with low temperatures and harsh snowfalls and winds, called just winter. The Kryptonian winters were the longest in the whole system, taking almost half of a cycle. The summer was the shortest, with somewhere close to two months of warmer weather and longer days, but not as long and beautiful as the Daxamian ones. The spring and autumn were indeed seasons of transition. The rebirth of vegetation started in late winter and ended at the end of summer, whereas the season of harvesting happened in late autumn, early winter. And at last, the farthest from the sun, was Haron of a bluish-white colour circled by its ice ring.

Jams knew how important that wall was for a girl like Kara. As a member of an esteemed house meant that you got to see these planets, which were drawn on the wall, in person and experience them. Daxam was nothing new for his lover. He has heard stories of their long and warm days, their gardens and orchards, full of fruits from all over the galaxy, and other, and flowers of various colours that you might have never heard the name of.

The door of the dressing room opened and a white-skinned, blonde female stepped silently on the tiled floor towards the couch near the bookcase. She took her dark blue dressing gown, put it on, made a couple more walks around the room and in the end she hugged her slender body while sitting in front of the table.

With her eyes focused on the screen and keyboard in front of her, she didn't notice the man, who was once seated on her purple bed, take a place behind her and hug her.

She froze.

He noticed.

He took his arms off from around her, gave her a long, somehow hurt look, while she was still staring at the screen before her. An article half-written and a photo of a young king with grey-blue eyes next to it.

Only after long minutes after he sat in the chair he dragged closest to her, did Kara face him. Big blue eyes, just like comets stared into deep brown, just like chocolate.

She loved him, that was certain, but what she had found out hours ago, in a room, under the safe roof she was now, changed their whole dynamic, their harmony. It changed her view of him.