Chapter Eighteen

I shove my whole head into the soothing cold stream gentle running my fingers around my nose and mouth to wash the blood off. I re-emerge and dab my face with a towel from Harry, being careful not to bump my swollen nose.

“Sorry about the whole breaking quickly thing. You gave me a bit of a fright.” Harry says walking up behind me. I stand up and turn around to look at him. His hands are in his pockets and he looks… scared. I truly have no idea what to say to him. Thanks for accidently saving us, but you can go now!  I just stare at him until he feels uncomfortable and looks at the ground.

“Thanks, I guess. For saving us.” I finally say. He gives me a small smile which makes me extremely confused. “What are you doing? One minute you’re acting like typical smart ass confident Harry, then the next thing you look shit scared and sad!”

“You’re the one that told me to get lost remember. How do you think that made me feel, huh? Being pushed away from somebody I’m in love with hurts Essie!” Harry’s green eyes well up and he makes no attempt at stopping them from doing so. I’m shocked and angry and sad and so confused.

“I- you- what?” I stutter. “You’re in love with me?” I knew he liked me, but love me?

“Believe it or not, yeah. Seeing you show compassion to Ashton caused me to act out. My jealousy got so intense that I called those guys to come take you away. I thought that I could go with you and ditch Ashton. I planned that when we got to LA I’d help you find your brother and you’d fall in love with me.” Harry explains. I can’t help but laugh. I don’t know where it came from but I couldn’t stop. Harry just stares at me like I’m insane.

“Do you know how stupid that sounds?” I finally say after supressing my laugh.

“Yes I do, but you have to understand that I never intended to put you in any danger Essie.”

“Wait, did you follow us? Or was this run in a seriously weird coincidence?”

“What do you think Essie? I couldn’t just let you go! For all we know the world is literally coming to an end and the saying Life is too short is seriously accurate at this time in our lives.”

“Typical! I know you wouldn’t just leave us alone!” I reply, anger rising up inside me.

“Essie, please! You have to understand that I’m not the threat here. What I have told you is true and I want to help you find your brother just as much as you do. I understand we’ve had our trust issues, but if you want to survive four people is better than two and an unconscious one.” I turn my back to him and look at the peaceful stream. I remember as a kid on camping trips, me and Luke used to collect heaps of sticks and stones to block up the small stream running through our camp sight. Then we’d watch in amazement as the big gush of held up water would flow down the stream when we’d bust our small man made dam down. I miss those days, I miss my brother.

“What do you want me to do Harry?” I ask with my back still turned to him.

“I want you to forgive me and let me gain your trust back.”

“That’s not going to be that easy Harry!”

“I know it’s not, but I’m not leaving you again. If you want me to go away you’re going to have to kill me!”

“Not a silly idea!” I tease turning around and we both laugh. “You really have to promise not to be a dick around those other two though okay?” I warn. Harry sighs and nods his head. “Good. Now where are we exactly?”

“Come with me.” Harry says turning around and walking towards a steep hill. I follow him and gasp at the view when we get to the top. What was once a thriving bright city is now a crumpled and burning mess.

“Oh my god…” I say my mouth wide open in shock.

“Yeah, not what you expected, huh?”

“Where is the camp?”

“See the shore line I the distance? It’s around there, they built a perimeter using the ocean as a defence wall. That means they only have three land walls to protect. Kind of smart if you ask me! All main offices are stationed in the middle of the compound in order to make it harder for the outsiders to get inside and to the buildings without getting caught. If we want to get in we need to make a pretty fail proof plan!”

We head back to Calum and Ashton to tell them the news and start to make a plan on how we are going to get inside the prison camp. To my relief Ashton is awake and sipping on a bottle of water. He smiles as he sees me and I hug him tight.

“How are you feeling?” I ask.

“Like I’ve been hit by a truck, but other than that I feel okay.” He answers. He frowns when he sees Harry. “What’s he doing here?”

“Long story short, he followed us, murdered the guys that kidnapped us and saved our asses… again.”

“You’re welcome.” Harry says with a smirk.

“Good to see you back to normal then Harry! Now, we need to have a group meeting!”

Night falls upon us and we hunker down into the back of the truck to try and get some sleep. After ten minutes I give up and announce that the smell is too unbearable and make my way to the front cab and get comfy in the driver’s seat. It takes me a while to fall asleep because my mind is racing around thinking about the plan we’ve made to break into the camp and rescue my brother. Harry opens the passenger side door and jumps in.

“Hey, sorry but it’s a little awkward in there without you to break the tension up. Mind if I crash here?”

“Sure, I don’t mind. Just don’t kill me in my sleep.” I joke.

“I couldn’t live with myself if I did such a thing.” Harry replies seriously.