Chapter Three

The cold shower water runs through my hair and down my face. The chill of the water is almost bearable since I am in desperate need of a proper wash. The hotel shampoo does the trick and I watch as brown water runs out of my long, red hair and down the drain. I catch myself fretting about how my appearance must have been like when Harry first saw me. I slap the thought out of my mind and remind myself that I can’t get too attached to him. These aren’t the right times to make friends.

I dry myself off with a white fluffy towel and look in the mirror. Still the same blue eyed girl looking back at me. I realise I shouldn’t be surprised that I haven’t changed drastically since it has only been one month. I search through the cupboard bellow the sink and pull out a complimentary tooth brush and tooth paste and squeal with delight. Thank-you God for this blessing as the smell of my breath reminds me of portaloos at an outdoor concert.

After cleaning my teeth half a dozen times I pull on a robe that’s hanging from the back of the door and hand wash my clothes in the sink. I end up changing the water at least five times before hanging them up on a make-shift clothes line to dry. I never realised how dirty I was!

I lay down on the comfy mattress and bury my body beneath the Egyptian cotton sheets and forget about what is going on around me for a moment letting my imagination take me to a happy place. Before I know it I am fast asleep dreaming about boys with green eyes and butterfly tattoos on their chests.

“Essie? Are you awake?” A British voice coaxes me from my slumber and I am greeted by those gorgeous green eyes. I sit up rubbing the sleep from my eyes and sort out my hair. “I made breakfast…well lunch I suppose.” Harry adds laughing. I grab his wrist and look at the time on his watch.

“Is it really three in the afternoon?” I ask startled.

“Sure is, you were out of it! I am guessing you haven’t had much sleep in the past month?” He asks helping me out of bed. When I really stop to think about it, I haven’t been able to sleep very well due to fear. Last night however, I felt safe for the first time in the past four weeks and it feels amazing.

“Burgers? How did you cook the meat?” I ask sitting at the breakfast bar and taking in the smell of real food.

“That’s the beauty of gas cookers I suppose!” Harry replies handing me a glass of water. “You look really nice today.” He adds with a shy smile.

“Um…thanks. Must have been the shower?” I reply feeling my cheeks heating up.

“I never knew you had curly hair.”

“Maybe because you only met me yesterday.” I tease and he laughs taking a seat next to me and taking a bite of his burger.

It takes me less than a minute to down the burger, so Harry offers the rest of his to me which I shovel into my mouth without hesitation. We both get into a conversation about our lives before and I tell him how I had received a scholarship to play soccer at a University up in New York. He seems really interested and I find out that he too is a soccer player, or ‘footballer’ as he calls it. I find myself starting to really like this guy the more we talk and get to know one another, but I am still feeling a bit unsure as to whether I really do trust this mysterious, bad boy who seems far too calm when I was pointing my gun at him the first time.

Dumbass me then went and blurted out my plans to rescue my brother and how I was going to achieve it, which of course enticed Harry to ask about joining me.

“What do you mean you prefer to go alone? It will be good to have another pair of eyes. Plus where else am I going to go?” There is that same look he gave me when I threatened to shoot him yesterday. It’s almost adorable to tell you the truth.

What am I doing? I am waiting for Harry in the lobby of the hotel to arrive with his gun he claims he stowed away down in the basement of the hotel.

“Why didn’t you have it handy with you up in the penthouse?” I questioned him suspiciously.

“I had my hand gun up there with me and stowed my rifle down in the basement in case there was a raid and I needed to hide away and get out quick. I don’t know, it seemed a good idea at the time!” He relied to me obviously realising what a dumb idea it really was.

I stand here now questioning myself why I don’t just take off towards the state of Alabama without Harry, but my feet stay firmly locked to the white, marbled floor.

“Ready!” Harry yells in excitement holding his rifle up above his head. I jump at the sudden boom of his voice and my plans of escape are no longer an option. When he reaches me he wraps his arm around my waist pulling me into his strong torso. “Thanks for letting me tag along Essie.” He says staring into my eyes. I can’t help but feel weak at the knees before giving him a small smile and patting him on the chest.

“No problem Harry.”