Chapter 10

Oakley POV

*November 14th*

When we arrive, the place is littered with dancing people and some waltz being played by a medium size orchestra.

Yeah, my Dad goes all out.

"Well, I'm going to find your dad, sweetheart." Declares my mom, kissing me on the cheek and leaving.

Rolling my eyes, I turn to see Logan looking at me.

"Is my mascara running or something?" I ask, while giving my jacket (because it's getting cold) to one of the workers.

He coughs, "Nope. You look fine."

"Ok, then." I say. Why is he acting so weird?

We walk into the ballroom. 

The floors are checkered, the celling has a beautiful painting on it, and two huge crystal chandeliers hang from the middle of the beautifully painted ceiling. The archways have intricate patterns on it.

It's really quite beautiful, really.

Most people are dancing or on the outside talking to others. Waiters walk around with glasses of Champaign on silver platters.

 Just then the music fades out and my Dad, walks to the center.

"Hello, everyone! Thanks for coming to the hundredth anniversary of Shield. I hope you enjoy yourself and if you need anything, anything at all, please ask the waiters who will be please to help you. Without further a due, I introduce my friend, Mayor Snow." He announces, followed by a loud applause while Mayor Snow changes spots with my dad.

He goes on about how amazing Shield is and how grateful he is to be part of it. He's a very nice guy, but he often monologues for ever.

Claps follow and the music starts again.

"Want to dance?" ask Logan, pulling me to the dance floor and we start waltzing. We're both pretty good since we've be doing it for years.

"I'm really sorry, Oakley. For kissing you, for my friends." Says Logan.

"I'm sorry for falling on top of you." I respond, as we continue dancing.

 After a couple more silent minutes, Logan starts talking.

"Here's the thing,I really do like you and it would be really cool if maybe you'll... go out with me on a date." He asks, his cheeks becoming a light shade of pink.

I'm shocked and for a second I just stare at him. I've never been on a date before.

He coughs nervously, which snaps me out of my panic.

"Um..." Think Ley, think!

His face has a look of pleading. How can you say no.

"Sure." I stutter, causing his face to brighten up, a huge smile plaster on his face.

"Sweet!" he exclaims, "Does tomorrow at the park work, at two work?" he asks.

"Sure." I whisper, still nervous.

When the song ends, I excuse myself to go the powder room (kind of like a bathroom without toilets) and text Mara.

 Me: SOS! Powder room.

 Mara: Got it.

I start nervously walking around.

Two minutes later, Mara finally comes.

"What took you so long?" I question, still walking.

"Sorry, I kind of got stuck in a conversation with some rich old lady." She says, "What's the SOS?"

I take a deep breath in. Just do it Ley.

"Loganaskedmeoutandisaidyes." I blurt, wring my hands together.

Staring at me for a second, she smiles and gives me a hug. "Ley, that's awesome! It took me a second to understand you there."

"I've never been on a date before." I whisper.

"It'll be fine." She says.

At this moment it hit me that I am going on a date, like a real date.

"I got a date!" I exclaim.

We both squeal and do a happy dance (not something you want to see).

We leave the powder room a little later.

I see Logan is dancing with Gwen, Jaden's nowhere to be found, while Landon makes eye contact with us and mouths 'help me' as he dances with Charlotte, whose wearing a revealing pink sparkly, form fitting dress.

Mara and I giggle, and head to the food table. We barley reach when Scott walks up to us.

"Hey Mara. Want to go for another dance." He asks, as she nods. "See ya Ley."

I wave and turn to the ginormous table full of caviar, cheeses and many other expensive looking foods. I grab a plate and start filling it up, however my hunt was interpreted by someone.

"Hey Oakley." Says Jaden, who slides beside me grabbing a plate.

"Hi." I answer, putting some crackers on my plate.

"I saw you dancing with Logan. Is your ankle feeling better?" he asks, putting an olive in his mouth.

"Yeah, much." I respond, then look at him in discus, "You like olives?"

"Yup." He smiles, popping the 'p'. I chuckle while adding some sort of toothpick creation to the small pile building on my dish.

Just then Jaden's called over by his dad who's with a group of people. Waving goodbye, I continue to put food on my plate when once again I am interrupted.

"You're such a pig O." says a deep voice.

Wait a second, I know that voice!

I turn around to see Asher White-Spruce, in all his glory.

His dirty blond hair is in his military buzz cut and he's wearing his white dress shirt tucked into black dress/casual pants with his black loafers.

My eyes start to water as I do running thing into his arms. 

For a couple seconds I just stand there silently crying.

"O, you're going to ruin my shirt." He teases, and I laugh a watery laugh in response.

"And you made me ruin my make-up" I hiccup a smile plaster on my face.

"Not my fault you decide to get all mushy with me." He laughs, as I smack his arm.

"You're early." I says, trying to wipe the tears off my face.

"And the surprises don't stop there."

He  pulls out a small box wrapped in a paisley patterned warping paper.

Inside the box was a small golden necklace. "A leaf?"

"You know cuz you're OAK-ley. Get it?" he chuckles at his own joke.

"Ash, it's beautiful."  

He puts it on me and we talk for a bit.

After a while, I exuse myself to go fix my make-up while he goes to find my mom and dad. Standing in front of the powder room's mirror, I decide that this was probably the best gala ever.