Chapter 13

Oakley’s POV

*February 14th*

“Oakley, Mara’s here!” yells my Mom from downstairs. Quickly double checking my bag, I head downstairs. “Love you Mom.” I say, zipping up my coat. “Wait!” exclaims my mother, coming out with a paper bag. “Breakfast for you and Mara.” She smiles, “Have fun and good luck.”

We arrive at school 7:30 on the dot. Mara and I take a seat in the middle of the bus. Only some basketball players are here.

“Where’s Logan?” ask Mara, taking a bit of her muffin. I shrug and take a sip of water. 

Within half an hour, everyone is here. “Ok guys. I expect you all to be on your best behavior.” Says Coach Taylor, an old man with a huge passion for basketball.

 “Mrs. Kane is chaperoning with me.” He states, siting back down. Then off we go to our 2 hour destination!

“Oakley, why didn’t you sit with me?” pouts Logan, who turns backwards to face me. “Because I’m cooler.” Says Mara, who changes the song we’re listening.

“Well I get her after we past Makenzie (small in-between town)” counters Logan, crossing his arms. “Um, no way. I get her the whole trip, thank you.” States my friend, I shake my head. The two bicker the whole bus ride.

…………………………………………………………………………………………

Our hotel is a pretty nice one. Mara and I are sharing a room, so we grab our key and head upstairs. “How can you stand him?” exclaims Mara once we’re inside. “Stand who?” I ask. “Your boyfriend.” She deadpans. “He’s really sweet when he’s not with you.” I laugh.

There’s a knock on our door half an hour later. “Oakley, you are to be downstairs in an hour. We need to practice.” Snarls Charlotte, when I open the door. “Um, ok.” I nod, as she turn on her heels and walks away. I quickly change into yoga shorts and a tank top. “I don’t think I’ll see you before the game.” I tell Mara, who’s doing something on her computer. “Ok.” She nods, and continues typing.

 I leave, but stop by Logan’s room to wish him good luck on his game. However when I knock on his door, nobody answers. Odd, I think. He’s probably out with the team.

In case you were wondering, there’s a basketball game today as well as the cheer competition. Today’s game at three and is the semi-finals. If we make it, the finals are tomorrow.

Our practice goes the same as always. Charlotte yelling at people, mostly me as well as Gwen today since she was late. 

Any who, after two hours of practice, we head back to our room to change into our uniforms. “Do you think we’ll win?” I ask Mara, as I tie up my shoes. “I don’t know. We have a pretty good team they just don’t always play as a team.” She states, grabbing her phone.

At the multiplex the games are being held at we have a squad meeting. “Let’s make sure are team wins girls!” exclaims Charlotte. We head out, jumping and waving, you know getting the audience pumped and all that.

Soon our boys come out, loud screams erupt from the crowd. I think we forgot to mention that our team has a large, like the size of Texas, group of fan girls from other schools, as well as our school.

We’re losing by halftime by 10 points. Coach Taylor looks really mad; I mean we all know they could destroy this team but they’re getting really sloppy. “Girls, we need to bust our lungs out cheering for our team, got it!” encourages Charlotte.