Epilogue

The sun rose, filling the sky with shades of orange and pink. The glorious sun rays lighted up the world again. The start of a brand new day.

Mommy and I decided to visit the tomb of my little angel. The cemetery was quiet and peaceful. There were a few people who were also there to visit their love ones' grave.

"Mommy, can my twin brother Dylan breathe there?" Shekinah asked me while pointing a finger at his brother's tomb.

We both wore a thick jacket and bonnet because the climate was cold.

"No. 'Yung body lang niya ang nandiyan pero yung soul niya nasa heaven na. Kaya, wala na siya diyan. Nasa heaven na siya," malumanay na paliwanag ko.

Inayos ko ang basket ng bulaklak na nilagay ko sa gilid niyon. Pinagmadan ko ang pangalan na nakaukit doon: Dylan Frances. That name would be a remembrance of his father. Storm Dylan would be happy if he found out that his baby's name was after his name. Dylan would have been four years old now like his twin.

Everything I said about our baby boy was true. The photo of the baby that I showed Dylan on my phone was Baby Dylan. He was Shekinah's twin. He didn't survive. My world collapsed that time, but Shekinah gave me hope to fight the extreme sadness of losing my child.

My eyes moistened while reminiscing those moments. I'd gone so far.

"Here's the water," ani Mommy sa akin at inabot ang bottled water. I passed Shekinah to Mommy before I drank the water.

Shekinah sneezed and then sniffed. She had a cold. Mommy wiped her nose through her handkerchief.

"It's cold here. Let's go. Dadaan pa tayo sa mall," Mommy said. "Say goodbye to your twin brother," she told Shekinah.

"Bye! Bye!" Shekinah said with an adorable smile on her face while waving her hands.

We went straight to the mall. We needed to prepare the engredients of our specialties for tonight. The new year was coming.

We went home afterwards. We found Daddy sitting in his wheelchair while watching TV in the living room and Tita Cath, Daddy's sister, was reading a magazine. When Tita Cath heard us, she dropped the magazine on the sofa and helped us to carry our purchased items and moved it to the kitchen.

When evening came, I helped Mom to cook and prepare the table. Tita Cath was currently playing with Shekinah in the living room, and I watched them from the kitchen. I couldn't help but smile everytime I heard Shekinah's giggles. I was so thankful that Tita Cath was here, because she visited Daddy.

"Ganyan ka rin noong maliit ka pa," dinig kong sabi ni Mommy kaya napalingon ako sa kanya. Pinagmamasdan niya pala ako na nakamasid kay Shekinah. "Sobrang masiyahin ka. I still remember when I first saw your smile. That was priceless." Her lips curved upwards.

Napangiti rin ako at pinagmasdan ang mukha niya. Ngayon ko lang napansin na tumanda na si Mommy. She already had wrinkles on the corners of her eyes. Someday, I'd also become like that. Tatanda rin ako at magiging ala-ala na lamang ang mga nangyayaring ito.

I intently looked at her. "Thank you for everything, My," I sweetly and earnestly told her.

"No need to thank me. It's my choice to have you in my life," she said and then walked past me. She got the chopped vegetables and put it on what she was cooking.

I just smiled.

We waited for the new year. Through the window, I could see the different colors of fireworks in the sky. Shekinah and I were watching them with eyes on stalks.

"Wow!" Shekinah exclaimed. I stared at her who couldn't take her eyes off the wonderful view. She was enjoying them so much. I smiled and cherished the moments. Seeing her happy could bring great pleasure to me.

A moment later, Shekinah got tired and fell asleep in my arms. I moved her to my bed and I gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead.

"Sleep well, baby," I whispered.

I watched her sleep peacefully.

She was Dylan's daughter, indeed. She really got Dylan's eyes, nose, lips . . . She was the girl version of him.

If he could just see her . . .

I caressed my baby's face. Sadness filled my heart. I felt sorry for her.

Honestly, I couldn't understand why we needed to end up like this. Why did we have to sacrifice for the happiness of other people? Why this little angel had to be fatherless? Even her, she was sacrificing her own happiness. She didn't deserve it. An adorable kid like her didn't deserve it.

But I knew . . . God knew these sacrifices. It would be worth it in the end. Being a peacemaker is worth it. Matthew 5:9 says, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God."

There were so many questions in my life that I couldn't really comprehend despite the faith that God has given me. But through that faith I discovered all His promises that took my anxiety away, because they assured me that there was a bright future waiting for me. I trusted His words. I knew they would surely happen.

I stopped when I heard my phone beeped. I took my phone from my pocket and checked who texted me. I was surprised when I saw that it was Dylan.

Happy new year, Demi. God will do something great in your life this year.

I stared at that message for how many seconds. My face softed and I reduced to tears. His message touched my heart.

"Yes, I believe that," I whispered.

I replied:

Happy new year, Dylan. God bless you and Fara!

I felt something clenched in my chest but I didn't care about it. The important was, Dylan was happy with his wife and I was happy with my daughter.

I was now releasing all the pain and now facing the new story of my life without Dylan, but this time . . . with God.

THE END