Chapter 39: The Pain of the Past (The Last Chapter)

"Do you love Fara?" I asked once more.

He looked away. "We're just arranged," he said, which took me unawares. I couldn't believe it. I did not expect it. "Let's go back now," he said and then turned his back on me.

I paused and watched him walking away for a while before I decided to follow him.

I observed Dylan. His aura became serious and quiet. I didn't dare to talk to him because I knew him when he was like this. He was thinking deep.

They invited him to make a speech on the stage for a moment.

When he came back to our table, he didn't sit on his chair. "Let's go home," he told me.

Nagtataka man ay tumayo na rin ako. Nagpaalam siya sa ilang mga kakilala niya bago kami tuluyang umalis sa lugar.

"I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy the event. I just feel so tired right now," he said while he was driving and I was in the passenger seat.

"It's okay," tugon ko.

I didn't know why the atmosphere was now awkward. We were just silent. I focused my eyes on the street lights. The car stopped right at the front of the gate of our house.

Nilingon ko siya at ngumiti nang bahagya. "Thanks," I told him.

He just nodded his head.

I paused for a while, taking a chance to ask him. I just badly wanted to know something. "Uh, may I ask you?"

"About what?" he replied. His brows met a little bit.

"Why do you still let me come near you?" I asked.

"We're best friends," tipid na tugon niya.

I felt something clench in my chest. I hated his answer. It was like a salt that burnt my wounded heart. His face softened when he saw my reaction as if he knew my pain.

Best friend . . .

No, we couldn't be best friends anymore. He left memories to me that would contradict that idea. He wasn't a best friend to me. He was the man who made me believe in sweet lies.

I reduced to tears, so I lowered my gaze. I knew I shouldn't cry in front of him anymore, because it was already clear to me that we couldn't be together again, but my emotions were uncontrollable.

"Do I have to stay away from you?" he asked.

That question had been already existing between us since then. Noon pa man may hadlang na sa aming dalawa. We were just so stubborn, so we ended up like this, wounded and broken.

"If I stay from you, I'll break a promise again," he said.

I looked at him and spoke, "I don't care about your promises anymore. I want you to be with me because you want to be with me! Not because of your promises!" my voice raised in anger and annoyance.

Natahimik siya kaya ang tanging pag-iyak ko na lamang ang naglilikha ng ingay sa loob ng sasakyan niya.

"Now I know that you're mad at me," mahinang sabi niya.

I just looked away. He was right. I hated him so much.

"I waited for you, Demi," he said in a soft voice. "I was so hurt and broken when you left me. But thankfully, God was there to comfort me. He showed me His plans for my life, and I served Him with all my heart. When you were gone, I remained faithful to you. I didn't court any other girl. I never liked anyone else besides you. I just focused on God's calling in my life. I was hoping that you would come back. I was praying for you . . ."