ONE - pogue life

ONE —— pogue life

The summer sun shone bright, relentlessly beating down on the flora and fauna of Kildare Island

The summer sun shone bright, relentlessly beating down on the flora and fauna of Kildare Island. The thick heat radiated from the air onto the Flynn siblings' skin, causing their hair to stick to their foreheads and their necks to itch with sweat. The motel their mother owned was in the midst of installing new room number plaques, and Bee and Felix were recruited to finish up the last block of rooms. Felix, however, was more interested in the cold beer in his hand than the handful of doors left.

A rickety green stool boosted Bee's height by almost a foot, which helped her reach the old, rusting room numbers screwed high up on the white painted walls. She huffed, her arms having grown tired after an hour of working alone. Sweat beaded on her forehead and she could feel loose strands of her brown hair sticking to the back of her damp neck as they escaped from her long ponytail. She was a mess.

Bee glared at her brother and swatted away a fly. "You know, you're the laziest shithead I know."

Felix scoffed and tilted his head up to face his younger sister, his hazel eyes glinting in the sun. She peered down at him from the stool. Her shoulders were drooping, tired, and she tapped the screwdriver against her thigh to the beat of the song that drifted from Felix's small speaker.

"Takes one to know one."

"Wow, very original, Felix. I'm impressed." Sarcasm dripped from Bee's mouth, but it wasn't harsh enough to faze her brother at all—he was accustomed to the sibling banter. He simply grinned up at her before taking another swig of his beer.

Before Bee could return to installing the room numbers, a familiar voice called, "Rapunzel, Rapunzel!" from the ground floor.

A smile replaced the bored expression on Bee's face. She hopped down from the stool and leapt toward the railing, standing on her tip-toes and leaning as far over it as she dared before the sensation of falling could take over. She knew if she pushed it any further and leaned any more, Felix would scold her for being reckless. Beaming up at her from the ground floor was a pair of boys, both of whom could brighten her mood any day. The sunlight gave their tanned skin a warm, honey-hued glow as it illuminated their faces.

"My saviours, thank God!" Bee called back. "My oaf of a brother is forcing me to do all the work."

"Hey!" Felix feebly kicked at Bee's leg from his chair, but he was too far away to do any damage. "If I'm an oaf, then you're an ogre. Or a bridge troll."

"Uh-oh, Felix," John B said. "Sounds like you've got a case of couch potato."

"Couch potatio-itis, in fact," JJ added, feigning seriousness. "I've heard it can be fatal."