Falling Into Dark

Start from the beginning

Wolf turned back and met my eyes.

The connection I had with him was still there. It made me happy.

I wasn't even out the door before I was on the phone. I'd promised Tes I'd help him, and I wanted to. The heated air swirled about me like a curse. It was just after lunch and all I wanted to do was take the rest of the day and hide somewhere with a stiff drink. Still, I hurried through the grand house, ignoring the view that had always drawn me to it and exited the front, closing the door behind me.

"Seven, I need a favour." I explained while sitting on the belly of my motorcycle. Using a thumb, I scratched the back of my neck with a thumb.

"What you need?" Seven asked. "I haven't seen you in a few weeks."

"You got time to meet?"

"Of course. Same spot."

"Okay."

I headed through the downtown core to meet my childhood friend. Seven had always been there but even for a friend, he was sketchy. By the time I arrived at the bar, I was nervous about what was happening but I carried my helmet under an arm and entered to find Seven sitting in a car corner, playing on his phone and sipping from a drink.

We hugged and I sat across from him and set the helmet on the table in the corner.

"You look good," Seven told me.

"It's been a helluva few weeks." I admitted. "I'm exhausted."

"I'd say." Seven say. "I hear you've been on the hunt for Wan."

I exhaled and shrugged. "We haven't been able to find him. Rumor has it, he left the country. I can't say I blame him. There is something rotten inside the Sharks and he probably doesn't want to be involved with all of that when it comes to a head."

"You two used to be friends."

"We used to be. Wan and I haven't been close for a while. He knew I would never leave Wolf to the vulture in that family."

"No one blames you." Seven promised. "I wouldn't have left him either."

"Wan blames me." I told him. "He took off, joined the sharks—before that I would have let him come back. I had a way to help him. But because I chose Wolf, he believes I abandoned him."

"Well, what are you going to do to him when you find him?"

I shrugged. "Nothing. We have so much more important things to worry about. He's Wolf's problem now."

"What can I help with?" Seven asked.

I brought up the picture of the toe tag and turned it to show Seven. "I want you to find out all you can on this person."

"Well." Seven took the phone and squinted to look at the picture. "It has an identification number. I know this hospital, but they had a fire around this year but they said it was in the ICU. These files should be fine."

"Damn." I leaned back in the seat and exhaled. "Find what you can."

Seven drained his drink then handed him the phone back. "Text me the picture. I'll get you what I can."

Tar nodded and Seven patted his shoulder then left him. I remained there for a moment, paid Seven's bill then left the bar.

Around dinner time, I called Wolf to see if he wanted to have dinner. HE declined as he was heading to Mongkut's father's place. I tried calling Tes but no response. Rather than go to his place, I headed to the first I'd seen him, to feel close to him.

I didn't even sit down when I noticed Tes was sitting across from a rather chatty woman. She laughed at things Tes said, touched his arm, leaned in to whisper in his ear.

I wanted to throw up. When I tried leaving, Tes called after me. I stopped and somehow managed to accept the wai they offered. I didn't wait around for them to say anything else. I hurried from the area, climbed onto the motorcycle and headed off.

"I thought I told you to take the night off?" Wolf asked, walking into the room with two glasses of whiskey. "Here—you look like you could use this more than me."

I tossed it back in one swallow.

"Whoa! Slow down!"

My phone went off, repeatedly. Each time I checked it was Tes. I ignored it, poured myself another and knocked that back.

"I don't want to feel anything right now." My voice was rough.

When I reached for the bottle, Wolf took it away.

"Talk to me."

Before I could say anything else, another phone call came through from Tes. Irritated, I declined the call and text him.

Focus on your girlfriend. I'm obviously not what you want.

I then turned off my phone.