Moo Shu To Go

"And he spoke to you?" Jace's voice rang in Charlotte's ears. Her green eyes were closed as she lounged on Clary's bed. Her arms stretched across the large sized bed as if awaiting something.

"He said my name," Clary replies. "He said your mother for the cup." 

"Who said that?" Alec asks the two as he walks into the room. He glances down at Charlotte who still made no attempt to get up. He rolled his eyes at her before turning back to Clary and Jace.

"Valentine." Both Clary and Jace answer. 

"He's with my mother," Clary adds on. 

"And he can speak to you through that necklace? Here in the institute?" Charlotte groaned and opened her eyes. Valentine just had to speak through the necklace. He couldn't speak through a sword or something that wasn't important, out side of the institute. All she wanted was sleep. "I'm glad that this is now interesting you, Mundane."

"Do you ever sleep or are you just always this cranky?" 

Alec glared at the mundane who seemed to be better than ever with comments that were irrelevant. Perhaps he did not need to worry about how she was acting with the fallen circle member. It was some mundane sickness that was not his problem. He then turned back to Clary who kept explaining.

"It's like when I saw Dot."

"It's a portal shard," Jace realizes while holding up the necklace. "That's why your mother made sure you had it."

"All I know is what I saw. My mother's alive. Unconscious but alive."

Charlotte perks up and looks between the three of them. "Great! So that's a good thing, can we sleep?"

Alec ignores Charlotte as he questions Clary more. "Where are they?"

"I don't know," Clary stammers. 

"But you said you saw them. Were there are identifying characteristics? Equipment, weapons, photographs?"

"I don't know! It was awful." Charlotte stood up from the bed and put a shoulder around the shaking girl. 

"Alec, lighten up." 

"I'm trying to get something we can use out of this." 

"What? By bombarding her with questions? That won't help, it'll only make everything worse," Charlotte says. 

Alec sighs and turns back to Clary with his arms crossed over his chest. He calmed down and asked peacefully, "Clary, what did you see, exactly?" Charlotte smirked a bit, happy over her "taming" of the tall shadowhunter. 

"Valentine has my mother. That's what I saw," Clary replies, her face turning red in her distress. 

"Emotions are nothing but a distraction. You're ruled by them. We're taught to control them."

Clary scoffs at Alec. "And how is that working out for you?" Charlotte backs up at their interaction while Jace moves forward. 'Better him than me.' Charlotte thinks as she goes to sit back down on the bed.

"It is my job to protect the institute. If Valentine can see in, that's a door I have to shut." After a pause he continued, "Now... let me take a look at that thing." Slowly Jace hands over the necklace at which Alec takes it. "Now it's in the proper hands." 

Clary whips her head around to Jace while Jace's eyes widen. Charlotte wished she could say she was surprised by him, but she was not. "Hey!" Clary yells out as she immediately chases him, Jace following her. Charlotte wanted to follow the two but after the nights she has been having she didn't have any energy to run and argue anymore.