Chapter 1: Call Me Cupid

Chapter 1: Call Me Cupid -shortended-

{Scotti} 

"Lauryn, you're staring at him."

"I can't help it!"

"Didn't your parents teach you staring is rude?"

"Yeah?"

"So stop staring!"

"I can't help it!" Lauryn whines, shooting me a pout. I sigh. She's right. If you went to schoo with someone as god-like as Logan Michaels, then you'd have a bit of a staring problem, too. 

"You know," I begin, taking a swig of my Cherry Coke, "Some day, Logan's gonna notice you staring at him ansd then it'll only be a matter of time until he starts realizing you as 'Lauryn Malone, creepy stalker girl'," I tease her.

I take another sip of Coke, and rest my arm down on the slate grey cafeteria table. I let out a sigh, and glance in Logan's direction. Lauryn sees me, and says, "But there's like, a hundred people here. He wouldn't notice if some random was looking in his direction." 

I heave a groan, and take in the gorgeous-ness that is Logan.  His sandy blonde bangs cascading slightly over his deep blue eyes. They were so deep, I could drown in them. I glance up, one more time and realize that he's staring back. I feel the air in my lungs contract and I choke on my Cherry Coke. Once I'm done wheezing like my next door neighbor, Mr. Finnegan, who's old and has breathing issues because of his cat, I let my eyes wander back to Logan. Who's laughing hysterically, like it's the funniest thing he's seen since Sienfeld. I groan inwardly, now realizing that Logan probably thinks I'm some lunatic with a bad case of laryngitis. Today was just not my day.

๑  ๑  ๑

I jolt up, feeling a sharp pain in my left arm. I whip my head back and glare a Lauryn, who gives me a sheepish look. She passes a folded up note to me, keeping her eyes on Mr. Derkins who's been droning on for the past thirty minutes about the wonders of the American civilization. 

I uncrumple the note, making sure not to wake anyone. 

Mia! Stay w/ me after school? I have cheerleading, and it won't take that long. Plzzz? xo

I turn over to Lauryn, who gives me a pleading smile. I scribble back: It better b quick! And I pass it back to her. She grins and flashes me a thumbs up. 

~

While Lauryn's at cheerleading practice, I go over in my head what I would say to Logan about what he saw during lunch. What would I say? Sorry for acting like a crazed psychopath while staring at your hotness? No. That'd make him even more freaked out. My hands start to get clammy. Logan probably thinks I'm a certified Looney Tune. And if he tells all his friends about how he saw me hacking up a storm, and that that they should all stay away. Oh.My.God. This could possibly ruin my whole reputation! I might have to move out of the state, and then change my name, and possibly-

"Mia, right?" 

I almost fall off the bench I'm sitting on. Logan? What the hell was he doing talking to me? 

"Just coming to see how your throat was doing, after that little coughing incident." Logan laughs. It's raspy, and sexy. The knot sitting in my throat gets bigger. I said that out loud? Now he probably thinks I'm an even bigger wacko. 

"Oh..you saw that?" I reply, twisting a strand of brown hair around my finger. I have no idea why I'm acting like this. Usually I'm so calm a collected. Grrr, curse Logan's cuteness.

"All of it," he quips, laughing. I feel my cheeks turn crimson.

"Ah..not one of my better moments," I explain. He flashes me a crooked grin, and my heart instantly melts.

"Nothing to be embarrassed about. I've done far worse," Logan chuckles, obviously reminiscing about something that'd happened to him. 

"Oh, really? I hardly doubt you could top my geezer cough," I challenge him. Logan scrunches up his eyes, like he's debating wether or not to accept my challenge. 

"Mia Price.. you have yourself a deal." I give a delighted shiver at the way my name rolls off of his tongue so smoothly. 

I'm about to shake his hand on it, until Lauryn decides to appear from thin air, cheerleader uniform and all.

"Mia! OMG! What's Logan doing here?" she giggles, eyeing him up and down. I want to squeeze her head until her pigtails pop. She comes right when I was going to touch his hand. Of course.

"Um, nothing. He was just checking in on me cause- I mean, about my cough," I reply tightly, glaring at Lauryn. She gives Logan a perky, glossed smile. Then she looks at me, and goes completely bipolar bitch. 

"Mi, come with me. We'll be justa sec, Logan," Lauryn says sweetly, dragging me away. She stands me up against the school and and harrumphs. 

"Mia, what was that about?" she complains. Only, when she says Mia it sounds like Miaaaaaahhhhh. 

I shrug. "Nothing, we were just talking."

Lauryn's face lights up. I feel like I'm about to hurl. What's with me today? Usually, people know me for the put-together, collected matchmaker I am at this school. 

"Idea! Since you're like, the biggest matchmaker around here, or whatever.. do you think you could match me up with Logan? Like, with those forms and everything?" Lauryn pleads, squeezing my hands. 

I gulp down the knot.

"Call me Cupid."