Chapter IV

Chapter 4:

My brows furrowed deeper than they've ever been while watching the tensed bachelor who now looks more troubled than when I entered his office. I wonder if Mr. McGray's life would have been easier if he had his own family. I don't know how he's handling whatever that's troubling him right now on his own.

"I'm sorry?" Honestly, I don't know what I should say. Everything he said somehow made sense but my mind is incapable of absorbing all of it.

Mr. McGray walked back to his chair and settled down. He closed his eyes and took deep breaths, his tensed shoulders slowly lowered themselves. I'm becoming more intrigued because of the way he's acting. Mayroon pa siyang mga hindi sinasabi sa akin.

"Ylona" His eyes are still closed but his voice sounded almost like a whisper despite the fact that it's only the two of us in here. The trepidation in his tone made the room feel like a chamber full of mysteries. I can't help but think if there's someone else listening to what we are talking about right now.

Muling huminga nang malalim si Mr. McGray at saka niya muling binuksan ang kanyang mga mata. His orbs withhold different emotions that I never thought he would actually have. This man was a control freak.

"The dove—is the symbol of your family. The three families might have gone to different paths since that battle broke between them, but they have maintained most of their traditions. In every generation, each family chooses a member to represent the whole clan. The Crown Lion, Crown Dove, and the Crown Viper—comprise the Big Three. And your cousin was supposed to sit on one of the three thrones."

My breathing turned more frantic with every word that Mr. McGray spoke. How come I know nothing about these? Did Ate Claire also know of what she was destined to become?

"Sixteen years after Victorina Academy was founded, when the three families officially broke their almost unbreakable ties, the Vipers vowed to come back and claim what truly belongs to them. It is also an enigma for me, but your Uncle Jaeme only told me what I needed to know to protect the academy, ironically from one of its very own founders."

Hindi ko alam kung tama pa ba ang mga naririnig ko, ngunit wala akong nakikitang kahit anong bahid ng pagbibiro sa taong aking kaharap. It seems like I was out of Victorina's world since I was born. And the fact that my family is one of its founders still leaves me in awe. Now I understand why everyone is close to this institution, because it is actually a part of us.

"So, the Vipers ... were they the ones responsible for her death?" Talking about her has been so hard for me since she died, especially if it is about her death. I can't even afford to hear her name. She didn't deserve what happened to her. But the answers to my questions are now laid in front of me. My decision to come back here won't somehow go to waste.

"We have speculations. There was no evidence of arson found in the hotel. I think you already know that the case has been closed a year after that tragedy happened."

Of course, I can still remember that day. Everyone was in the Crosswood Mansion discussing it. I wasn't supposed to hear anything, but I sneaked out of my room and secretly listened to the conversations of the elders. I can never forget the anger in Kuya Darron's eyes when his dad told everyone about the news. And I almost ended up in the hospital for not eating for two days.

"But one thing's for sure, those villains will not stop with your cousin's death. They are continuously moving, lurking around unseen."

Mr. McGray's conviction made me clench my hands. But there's one more question that's still playing in my mind. "The Lion and the Viper, who are these families?" The room fell silent. The school president is staring at me as if considering something before answering my question. He looks uncomfortable talking about it. But I am now too desperate to know everything. I have been kept behind the shadows since her death.