Chapter I

Chapter 1:

Victorina Academy. A colossal fortress founded about seventy years ago far from the busy streets of the city—hidden from the sight of the world. The academy can be found in an exclusive and fully-guarded domain. The impenetrable walls have been forbidding any outsiders from having a glimpse of what's truly inside the mysterious realm. Even its students are highly respected and feared by the others because of the inscrutable reputation of the school they are in. Its system of accepting pupils is very strict, and there are certain standards that should be considered first before someone can proudly wear its uniform—from family and social backgrounds, financial capabilities, and the skills that will clearly help the institution in expanding its excellent status. And these qualities are what I possess, the reason why I was able to enter its premises in just a blink of my eyes. The Crosswoods, the family of my mother, is known to be one of the academy's strongest allies.

Nakabukas ang malalaking tarangkahan ng paaralan na tila ba matagal na nitong hinihintay ang aking muling pagbabalik. The statues of the two ravens are still standing firm guarding the entrance to the most prestigious school I've ever known. I gripped the strap of my bag before finally taking the steps to enter its big gates. It is very surreal. I am back again to this place after two years of hiding from the rest of the world—after she died.

I sighed and tried to erase the thought when I finally crossed the entrance. Today is the first day of school. And today, I am about to continue what I started here when I was still a freshman. I am already sixteen and a 10th grader. I never thought I would still have the courage to study here again after everything that happened. Every corner of this place reminds me of my cousin, Ate Claire.

Hindi maipagkakailang malaki at malawak ang paaralang ito. Pagkapasok mo pa lang sa entrance gate ay makikita mo na agad ang library. Mayroon itong tatlong palapag kung kaya't madalas ay ginagawa itong tambayan ng mga estudyante. Sa kanang bahagi naman ng library ay ang Admin Building. Nasa unang palapag ang mga opisina ng mga staffs habang nasa ikalawang palapag naman ang mga opisina ng malalaking opisyal ng paaralan. May kalsada sa gitna ng dalawang building patungo sa chapel ng school, and an elevated part near it is the school's mini-forest, well known as the Maze. No one ever told the story if it literally means a maze because only a small part of the area is open for everyone. It is covered in woods and is also believed that at its heart lies the institution's long-forbidden and mysterious place, the Shangri-la. It has been closed ten years after the school was opened.

Muli kong inihakbang ang aking mga paa at agad kong naramdaman ang mga nagtatakang tingin mula sa mga estudyanteng naglalakad papunta sa kani-kanilang mga building. The covered walk never felt so small and suffocating. For the past two years, I had been living my life away from the people who aren't my family—away from the real world. But now that I am finally walking the same path that these normal students are taking, I'm starting to become more scared of what might be waiting for me.

"Miss Hembert?" I was pulled back to reality when a hand suddenly caught my arm. I halted to see who dared to hold me but my exasperation vanished when I realized who is the young woman smiling in front of me. Her long, straight hair is cascading freely on her shoulder, and her soft orbs are just like the way I used to see them. It's been a very long time, but Ms. Miller is still the same as how I last saw her.

"I'm sorry if I startled you." A shy smile formed on her lips and she immediately let me go. I realized how cold my skin was because of her hold.

"Good morning po, Miss Miller." I smiled genuinely at her and I can't explain the emotions in her eyes—there is happiness ... and longing.

"Mr. McGray ordered me to tell you that he wants to talk to you. I can accompany you to his office if you want."

Nakikita ko ang sinseridad sa kanyang mga mata, ngunit hindi ko mapigilang magtaka sa kanyang sinabi. Why would the president of this school want to talk to me? I am not expecting a grand entrance. I just want to study again like a typical student, even though I know that it's going to be very hard.

"Okay lang po, Miss Miller. I'll find my way to Mr. McGray's office."

I saw the disappointment in her eyes but she still smiled sweetly. I know she understands why I am acting like this. She has been my favorite teacher since I entered this school back when I was still in the 7th grade.

"Just tell me if you need anything or if something's wrong. You know where to find me."

I gave her a nod before she continued on her track. Napabuntong-hininga na lang ako at tiningnan ang Admin Building. The students are already swarming in the direction of the quadrangle. The flag ceremony will start any moment now, and I don't know what Mr. McGray wants from me.

Sinimulan kong tahakin ang daan patungo sa gusali. Pinipilit ko na lang ituon ang aking atensyon sa aking dinadaanan dahil sa mga matang nakatitig sa akin. I never felt this outcast and alone. How I wish I have my best friends right now. Rhea and Elijah still don't have any idea that I am finally back in this school. I wanted to surprise them.

"Is that Ylona Hembert?"

Napapikit ako nang marinig ko ang aking pangalan na sinambit ng isa sa mga estudyanteng aking nakasalubong. Her other friends followed me with their gazes but I remained focused on the building ahead of me. It is looming like a gigantic fort, and its rising roof is the only thing that can be seen outside the gates of Victorina. It is probably the highest building in this school.

The roads are exquisitely dividing the buildings from each other. The trees are still standing from where I saw them the last time I was here. The bushes are still trimmed properly and nothing seemed to change. The garden at the side of the Admin Building is still full of those beautiful flowers. Everything Is very lively, aside from me.

It took me another few seconds before I was finally able to reach the entrance. The edifice's façade becomes more intimidating. This is the face of Victorina Academy; The Raven's Castle as they call it. It looks more like a massive blue statue when in you're in front of it. The school is probably in love with blue ravens. Almost everything in this place can be connected to its emblem. Just like that bird, Victorina is continuously soaring. And I wonder what could bring this empire down.

Muli akong huminga nang malalim at pinilit ang aking mga paa na pumasok sa gusali. The entrance hall greeted me. Inilibot ko ang aking paningin at tila ba ibinabalik ako ng aking mga nakikita sa aking unang taong pananatili sa paaralang ito. The series of paintings is what usually catches the eyes of anybody who would be here—all are clearly inspired by the European arts enlightenment. This is the reason why she loved this school. It is a classicist just like her.

The high roof is ascending to the heavens, and the fresco of the blue bird is still staring at everyone from the ceiling. It's so huge that it becomes the main attraction of this building. It seems to be watching everything and not letting anyone escape its scrutinizing eyes.

I can still remember that I used to imagine myself in a palace every time I'm in this area of the school. The main hall is a little bit long making anybody feel that she's walking towards the throne of the king at its end, but it's always the reception counter that you'll find on the other side. Everything is elegant and perfectly crafted.

Napansin kong wala ng tao sa lobby at siguro ay lahat ng mga staffs ay nasa quadrangle na. Hindi ko mapigilang mas lalong magtaka. I just hope that Mr. McGray will tell me something more relevant than a usual welcome greeting.

"Are you Miss Ylona Hembert?"

Huminto ako sa harap ng reception counter at nakangiti sa akin ang isang babae na parang ka-edad lang ni Miss Miller. Her hair is tied into a bun and she's wearing the blue body con uniform—a name badge is also pinned on her left chest. Her name is Cassandra Shay.

"Yes. Mr. McGray said he wants to talk to me."

"Mr. McGray said that he will be waiting for you in his office. Do you already know the way up there?" She's a little bit skeptical and I think she's thinking that I am a transferee.

"Yes, thank you."

The smile on her face didn't disappear but I turned to my left and started walking to the stairs. The six chandeliers are still in a proper array circling the biggest one at its center in the middle of the waiting lounge. The massive staircase is like a huge snake spiraling all the way up to the second floor where the conference rooms and the offices of the school's directors can be found. Welcome back, Ylona.