~XVII~

General Malcolm was the only horse who died in the battle.

A few gryphons too, but Tessa didn't know their names. She tried to learn them, but Matteo was silent as he mourned his soldiers. Efren was busy partying in Zen Claris as he told the story about him shifting.

"And then BAM! Fur to scales in an INSTANT!" He bragged.

Tessa didn't care. He deserved it, anyway.

However, she did care about Rhian, as she couldn't find him anywhere. Not in the city, not in the castle--

But instead, at the shore where they washed up that morning.

She approached him and said, "Hey."

Rhian replied, "I feel so ashamed."

Wow. No salutations, just...straight into it, huh?

"Why?" She asked.

"You had to..." he sighed. "I love you, Tessa. You know that. But while I carry the emotional aspect of this relationship, you carry the physical. I was useless this morning. You carried me all the way to the infirmary."

"Actually, General Malcolm carried the both of us--"

"But you still carried me until we met him," He cut her off. "If that wasn't bad enough, you faced the high lady of the dragons and managed to cut off the peak of a mountain. It's just...males are insecure about this kind of thing. I'm sorry, but it's just embarrassing sometimes."

Silence. Then suddenly, Tessa laughed.

"There's nothing to be embarrassed of," Tessa said. "And you don't need to 'carry' the emotional aspect of this relationship any longer."

"But you don't--"

"I love you, Rhian Nayelin." Tessa said.

Rhian gaped at her. Then, he hugged her fiercely.

"I love you too, Thessalyne."

They laughed at each other's ridiculousness, and went back to the castle, happy as a clam.

~ ~ ~ 

While the night was filled with happiness, the morning was filled with agony.

They had to begin restructuring the city, and the politicians gathered to discuss Tessa's next move. She had finished gathering her Ravanyn allies, so naturally her next move should be...

"Sacking Alésun." said Matteo.

"Reclaiming Sterlinday." said Efren.

They both spoke at the same time.

Gael yawned and said, "I have no qualms with both."

Matteo argued, "Yasmine shall be conquered in her home base, so our Queen may return to her home in peace."

"But how can we be sure that Yasmine has not already planned something elaborate, such as hiding in Sterlinday herself?"

"Preposterous."

"Actually," Gael said. "Yasmine's style is definitely closer to trickery than anything. She would be expecting us to attack her at her home base when she's really hiding in the Palace of Aschere."

Tessa had never really discussed politics with...well...other politicians. She consulted Ingrith, but she was a consultant. It never really counted as a meeting. So she felt queasy as they discussed in front of her. 

"My Queen," spoke Gael to her.

She stirred from her thoughts. "Hmm?"

"What is your next move?"

Before Tessa could respond that she didn't know, a box came from the windows and landed at the middle of the table. Gael called for his guards, no doubt to give a reprimand, but the rest of them remained at the table.

"Shall we open it, Your Majesty?" Matteo asked.

Tessa, though suspicious, nodded. Matteo opened the box, and gulped. He took out a package...

...to reveal Ingrith's head.

Tessa kept silent. The entire table did too. Then finally, she said, voice hoarse, "Prepare to sail for Alésun tomorrow morning."