Chapter 23: Battle with Undyne

Start from the beginning

Looking at my Soul, the crimson red it should've been faded into gray around the edges, with more gray cracks around the edges as well. It was now glowing green, thanks to Undyne's magic, but I could only stare at the damage to my Soul. Is this what the Void did to it? My determination...

Suddenly, I heard a "HEY!" from Undyne, snapping back to the fight. "We're still fighting," she mocked. I was annoyed, but knew I deserved that. "Green means you can't run away. You have face to danger head-on, yadda, yadda, yadda," Undyne told me, annoyed from having to repeat herself, and then she made another spear, and tossed it to me.

I caught it, confused at why she would give me one of her weapons, until something hit me in the shoulder. I looked up, and saw a bunch of magic bullets flying towards me. Then I remembered how green magic was supposed to work. I needed this spear, it was a kindness.

I quickly raised my spear to block the next bullet, and as I did that, a green shield appears in front of me, stopping the bullet. I spun around, and saw another bullet coming at me. To counter this one, I summoned a fireball, and launched it at the bullet. The two projectiles collided and exploded. I continued to counter the bullets in this manner, with a combination of both the spear's shield and my fireballs.

When that was over, I turned back to Undyne. "Nice. But here's the problem with inflicting Soul modes."

"What?"

"They can be overridden by another Soul mode." I waved my hands in front of my Soul, changing the mode from green to blue, and then I switched my gravity, flying (well, falling) sideways right at Undyne. I then summoned fire on my foot, so I hit her with a high-velocity, explosive kick.

Undyne was again knocked off her feet. As I flew up from the kickback of my attack, I used my blue magic to slow my fall to crawl. From there, I summoned a large number of fireballs.

Undyne got back up, and yelled, "stop knocking me on my BUTT!" And she summoned a volley of spears levitating in front of her.

We both sent our magic attacks at each other, and they exploded (mostly due to my fireballs) in between us.

I landed back on the ground, while Undyne stumbled back from the explosion. "Not good with fire magic, are you?" I mocked.

Undyne glared at me. She was sweating, and clearly frustrated. She must have never fought someone like me before, negating her Soul magic, keeping her off her feet, attacking with pure fire. She was quiet for a second, then smiled, and raised her hand.

Something shifted in my hand. I looked over, and realized that I hadn't dropped the spear Undyne gave me, and now she was trying to control it in my hand. Before I could think to drop it, she pulled back towards her, dragging me along with it. I fell onto the ground, as Undyne grabbed her spear, then she jumped up, and slammed it into me.

With the spear pierced through my body, I could feel the magic tearing away at my already fragile soul. I tried to get up, when I heard a banging on her armor. I looked up, and Frisk was now kicking Undyne with her ballet shoes.

"Frisk, get back!" I yelled to her, before Undyne kicked her away. Angry, I reached out to my Blasters. It fired another burst of flame and then Undyne was knocked off me. I got up, and pulled the spear out of me. At least it was magic, so there was no physical injury, but I could still feel the pain in my Soul.

"You will pay..." I said slowly. I tossed the spear back at her (as not to get caught under the same trap again), and called my Blasters to my side and started charging up their true power. The interior of their mouths started glowing with white light.

Undyne got up, growled, and grabbed her spear, then slammed it into the ground. I guess she was taking a note from my book, as her Soul appeared, glowing green, and a shield appeared in front of her.

Not going to help, I thought, as I willed my Blasters to fire twin lasers at her.

I heard a cracking sound, and assumed that meant I broke her armor or something, but once the dust cleared, I saw a wall of bones in between us.

"What...?" I said.

Undyne also seemed to be confused. "Uh, Papyrus? Is that you?" She also sounded kind of hopeful when she said that, though I wasn't sure why.

"No, not him," said a new voice. A very familiar voice.

I spun around to see who spoke, as the wall of bones disappeared. Frisk was now back at my side, and all three of us could now see a tall figure. A skeleton wearing a long grey trench coat, black slacks, and black loafers. His face was cracked up, and his left eye was melted in.

Frisk tapped my side, and signed, Chara, who is that?

Undyne, probably not understanding Frisk's sign language, asked, "Who the heck are you!?"

"A very good question, Captain," he replied. "I... am the man who speaks in hands," he started using sign language as he spoke to make his point. "I was the royal scientist before Alphys. I am Papyrus's father, if you wish to know. My name is Wingding Gaster Serif, though you can refer to me as W.D. Gaster."

I was super happy to see someone I knew. But I didn't miss the things he said. He called Undyne "Captain". Did Girard retire like he said, and was this woman the new Royal Guard Captain? Is that what he meant? He also mentioned he wasn't the Royal Scientist anymore, and he had a son. He and Pristina had a kid...

"Wait, so you're Papyrus's dad? Then where were you this entire time!?" Undyne asked.

"That is none of your concern, Captain," Gaster replied. "Now, if you wouldn't mind, I am only here to retrieve my friend, Chara."

"WHO!?"

"Me," I replied. "I'm the Chara he's referring to."

Undyne was quiet for a second, then said to Gaster, "Oh, no you don't! Their Souls are going straight to Asgore!"

"You've overstepped your boundaries, Captain. You were supposed to capture them, and deliver them to the king. Not kill them by your own hand. But that matters not to me. You do not know what is truly going on here, nor does the king. I must take these matters into my own hands."

Undyne shouted, "you aren't taking them anywhere!" And angrily threw a spear at him. All Gaster did was smile, as he raised his hand, and snatched the spear out of the air just as it was about to hit, his grip on it right below the weapon's tip.

Gaster chuckled. "You have an extraordinary gift, Captain. But I share this same gift, and I do believe I am far more experienced in its use and control. It would be wise... not to cross me." Then, with just that one hand, he crushed the spear, snapping the spearhead right off.

Undyne glared, and summoned more spears in response.

"Very well," Gaster replied. "Chara, young human, behind me." We rushed behind him, as he summoned more bones behind him, shielding and separating us, as well as six of his own Gaster Blasters. "If you wish to fight, Captain, then be my guest," Gaster continued. Then, beginning his attack, he snapped his fingers.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: Undyne vs. Chara. Chara has the advantageous magic (fire, blue magic, Blasters), but Undyne is a tough foe. But now that Gaster has tagged in, what will happen next?

I want to bring this up, I only thought of the idea of being given a spear as an act of kindness necessary for the magic to work when I was writing this out, but it makes so much sense. Undyne does give you the spear willingly to defend yourself from her attacks, to make the fair, of course, but your soul does become green. So yeah...