Chapter 22: Frisk

Start from the beginning

"Am I as tall as her?"

She shook her head again.

"Listen, I know you miss your mother. I get that, I..." I almost told her I missed Toriel, but I doubted she knew who that was.

Tears in her eyes, she signed in one last desperate attempt to convince me I was her mother, but you have to be. I'm all alone.

On the verge of tears myself, I said, "so am I, kid. So am I. But I'm sorry, I can't be your family, I..."

I thought back to Alice, the first human girl I interacted with so long ago. I failed her then. I couldn't fail another. But what could I do?

The girl was now crying. I guess she really wanted me to be her mom. Deciding I couldn't let her be alone, and wrapped my arms around her and stroked her head, something Toriel used to do when I was sad. "Hey, it's going to be okay. I'm sure you'll find your real mom very soon."

The girl pulled away from me so she could sign, but they said she was gone, that she went to heaven, and they... She stopped to wipe the tears from her eyes.

"Oh... I didn't know." So her mother died. "Hey, kid, what's your name?"

F-R-A-N-C-I-S, she signed each letter. But mommy called me F-R-I-S-K.

Whispering each letter to myself to get the names, I said, "F-R-A-N, fran, C-I-S, uh, cis. Francis... And, um, F-R-I-S-K... Frisk! They call you Frisk! Correct?"

She smiled and clapped her hands. Good to see her actually happy.

Frisk, okay, so that was her name.

"Alright, Frisk, it's good to meet you. My name is Chara," I tell her.

She tilts her head, and signs How do you spell it?

"Oh, right. C-H-A-R-A, Chara."

Frisk signs that back to me, and smiles. Then she signs, can I sign it like this? And then she makes the hand sign for "car" (the motion of turning a steering wheel), then "A" (a fist with the thumb pointed outwards).

"Car-ah, huh. Well, that's not you pronounce it. It's pronounced Chara is in 'Character'. Do you know the sign for that?"

She nodded, and signed "Character", making a C with her hand and spinning it in a circle just below her opposite shoulder, then backward, touching her chest.

"Yeah, that's good. You can use that for my name, okay. So... Frisk, how did you get here. And can you get back?"

Frisk pointed to the white rectangle, then turned back to me and signed, I went through the gray door.

"I, uh, only see a rectangle of light."

But it's a door! Frisk signs, it goes into the Waterfall.

Waterfall, huh, I thought. Was it my Waterfall, from my world? Was she from my world? Then that would mean... Asgore... Still, she couldn't stay here.

"Frisk," I said, "I don't know how you got in here, but... you should go. This is not somewhere you want to get trapped in."

But, what about you? Frisk signs. Please don't stay here. Come with me.

"I... I don't think I can leave this space. I'm trapped here. I'm sorry. Don't get trapped here, too."

Frisk put her hands on her head, thinking about what to do, then reached out and grabbed my hand, and pulled me towards the door.

"Woah, woah, wait!" I cry out.

As she pulled me into the door, she disappeared into the light, and I... passed right through it, and found myself on the other side of it... still in the Void.