Chapter 21: The Fall

Start from the beginning

"This is it, Chara," Gaster told me. "The first step towards freedom. ...Out of curiosity, are excited to see the Surface again?"

"Wingding... I... you know I don't like humans," I replied.

"Not humans. I mean the surface itself. I've only heard stories about the Surface, from those who passed them down generation to generation, or from those few monsters with extended lifespans that still are alive today. Your... early years were spent on the surface, correct?"

"You know they weren't pleasant years."

"Yes, but you still were around the beauty of the Surface, or so I have heard."

"That... that was so long ago. I don't remember it very well. But... I do remember the blue sky. Some days, it was clear, others there would be clouds. And at night, you could see stars against the dark sky. It's... really beautiful."

"I see... Well, Chara, I can't wait to see this."

As our conversation came to an end, the four spheres began to power on, charging up with black energy.

"It's starting," Gaster exclaimed.

Then the energy shot towards each other, fusing into a sphere of black, dark blue, and purple energy. The sphere grew as the energy poured in, until it shot a pillar of the same dark energy onto the floor below.

"It's the rift," Gaster said. "We've actually made a rift. With a little more time and some refinement, we can make this portal. The surface awaits."

I smiled with joy. I could go home. We wouldn't need another human to die. This was perfect.

...So of course, that's when everything went wrong.

Suddenly, something behind the rift-making mechanical arms shuttered. Before anyone could react, it exploded it a large burst of fire. It collided into one of the arms, causing it to collapse. Without its full stabilization, the rift began to collapse. The dark pillar sputtered out of existence, as the sphere of energy quickly changed from black to white.

Our friends on the viewing platform quickly began freaking out as this was happening. I would've too, if it weren't for Gaster and his quick thinking. He suddenly pulled me into a protective embrace, his tall frame covering my small one, his back to the sphere. While I could barely see around him, I saw numerous bones shoot out of the ground, more than I could count, and more than I think I've ever seen Gaster summon, as they created a dome-like wall, separating us from the rift as it burst into pure light, engulfing us all.

Gaster and I were pushed back, as I heard that tearing of metal, and screaming from the others that soon faded into silence.

The light faded, and we found ourselves alone on that platform. Much of the structure around the was in tattered, parts of the machinery torn up. Even the railing that was around the platform was torn off. The bone wall Gaster conjured up was now shattered into thousands of tiny pieces, which were now turning into dust as they lost their magic power.

"Where... where is everyone?" I asked, still unnerved.

Gaster looked around. "The blast from the rift... It must've... pushed them off. We... you and I... we might have been to if I hadn't acted as I did..."

I just sat there stunned. The assistants... Lizzie... they were... they were just gone? No... they couldn't have.

Another explosion tore through the CORE. Gaster got up, and tried to pull me up with him. "Something must've overloaded in the CORE. And I think it isn't over. Whether or not the rift's explosion caused it to become worse, the CORE is about to suffer a complete meltdown."