Chapter 17: Tantalized by Fear

KATIE'S POV

"Where you goin?" I asked my dad as I trailed after him toward the shed where we were keeping Randall.

"Gonna go talk to the boy, stay here, don't argue" dad said quickly, I knew he didn't want me to come along, but when dad says don't argue that was his way of saying don't ask again. I didn't have the energy to put up a fight seein as how I had other things on my mind.

Daddy had finally let us move back to main camp and it felt like things were beginning to come to an ease, even with all the insanity surrounding Randall.

"Hey sweetheart" Lori chimed, ever since I helped bring back Rick she was much more pleasant toward me. "Mornin' ma'm" I said brushing out my hair.

"Listen Katie, I never had the chance to apologize, my behavior back in Atlanta was unacceptable toward you and your daddy, and I wanted to say thank you for bringin Rick back" I shrugged.

"Anyone woulda done it" I said trying to get this tough knot out of my hair.

"Yeah, but you did it, you have my gratitude, as well as your words on the situation with Andrea yesterday"

I pulled the brush outta my hair and nodded. "Andrea had no business leaving Beth alone in there or bein' rude like that. She can't just do nothin and expect that the rest of us ain't gonna notice. She wasn't bein fair and she made a bad choice, more than once" I said referring to the time she nearly killed my dad.

"May I?" Lori asked gesturing to my hair, I hadn't had really anyone to help me with my hair besides daddy and hell, he just runs his hands through it when he remembers and calls it a day. I handed her the brush and she gently took it through my hair and successfully got the knot out.

"If I have a little girl, I'm gonna need to know how to do this" she chuckled.

"Daddy ain't too good at it, it don't grow too fast either" I said with a small smile.

"Well Ms. Dixon, I believe you are all set" Lori said handing me back my brush. "Thank you ma'm" I said as I stood up and tossed my brush into the tent.

"Anytime, now go on ahead" she said with a smile. I was beginning to realize Lori ain't too bad, she's just a meek scared woman. I started toward the shed, just to see what was going on, I wanted to know what was happening, and what daddy doesn't know won't hurt him.

I stealthily climbed a tree as I heard the repeated blows hit Randall's face, "Your boys shot at my boys,tried to take this farm, tried to kill my daughter? You just went along for the ride? You're trying to tell me you're innocent? " daddy yelled. I jumped slightly, I had never heard him yell like that, or heard him hit anyone either. I'd seen daddy mad, but never like this.

"Yes!" Randall begged, clearly exhausted from whatever beating he was taking.

"These--these people took me in. Not just guys--a whole group of 'em. Men and women,kids too--just like you people. Thought I'd have a better chance with them,you know? But...we go out,scavenge--just the men. One night we--we found this little campsite. A man and his two daughters--teenagers,you know? Real young. Real cute. Their daddy had to watch while these guys--they--and they didn't even kill him afterwards. They just--they just made him watch as his daughters--they just-just--just left him there." I felt my skin chill at his words, had they gotten Rick and the rest of us in town the same fate could've befallen me.

"No,but-but--but I didn't touch those girls. No,I swear I didn't to-- Please. Please. You gotta believe me,man. I'm not like that. I ain't like that. Please. Please. You gotta believe me" Randall pleaded as I heard my dad lay another blow on him.