Chapter 1

She awoke in a dark room. An endless place devoid of light. And just like what happened in the past three years, that piece of memory in her eighteenth birthday will appear.

"You're lucky, don't you think?" Again, having the scenario memorized, she mumble as the guy speaks

And just like what happened three years ago, Thyra saw a guy dancing with her. The teenage her. Sway rhythmically as if they were the only people left in the place. They were, after all. Except she's only a few inches away from them. She can see them in her dreams, but the other two appear to be unaware of her presence.

Unlike the previous three years, she began walking towards the two instead of sitting and letting it pass. The guy is still dressed in a tuxedo, and she - the teenage her - is dressed in an ocean blue gown. She walks and walks, "Who are you?" and when she couldn't seem to move forward, she started running. She quickened her stride. But the two just keep running away from her. She appears to be fleeing from them. No. Please. Don't bother going. Wait! But then they were gone. No. They did not leave. They simply vanished. Abandoning her in the dark. An endless and empty darkness.

She sat on the floor. With her knees on her chin. And sobbed. Cried. Quiet cries to boisterous noise. She is perplexed as to why he continues to haunt her. His voice. His touch as they dance. And his eyes. His enticing eyes linger in her mind.

"Who are you?" she muttered quietly.

☆☆☆

"Your Royal Highness, it's time for dinner. The King and the Queen, along with Princess Carolina, are waiting for you," two knocks on the door and that was what she heard. She nodded in the air, still dizzy from her dream, as if the maid on the other side of the door could see it.

Three years have passed, and Thyra still remembers the brown-eyed man from that day.

Those chocolate eyes.

She closed her eyes and mentally filed her dream away. She climbed up her bed, took a bath, and dressed in a magenta gown that matched her red diamond tiara. She went out after finishing her make-up.

Growing up in the palace, she was used to seeing the red carpeted hallway, the calming lights of the chandeliers that hang in the ceiling at equal distances, paintings on the walls, palace guards on duty, and, of course, the busy servants.

She is aware that a high wall surrounds the castle, trapping her inside. She doesn't mind being deprived of her freedom. Before. Not until she saw him three years ago. She's not sure why, but she wants to learn more about him. And in order for that to happen, she must first leave the palace.

The maids and guards bow their heads as she walks down the stairs. There are two high double doors at the end, one for the dining hall and the other for the library; she entered the dining hall through the door on her left.

She squinted as blinding lights greeted her eyes seeing her parents at the dining table. They were side by side on the other end as she made her way into the chair next to theirs. Her sister is on their left, near the King.

"Your Majesties," she said as she curtsied. The other two simply smiled and pointed to the chair next to the Queen. "How's your day, King?" she asked, then "Queen?"

"Nothing much happened, Princess. We went to the charities we had in the poor provinces within the country, you know, making sure that free education will reach their places," the King replied.

"You? How are you, my Princess? Your coronation is approaching, are you excited?" the Queen asked in response, nodding.

She refrain herself from cutting the steak that was served and look at the Queen, "I am delighted to finally have the chance for the crown and rule our country, your Majesty. I have been waiting for this moment to come and can't sleep due to excitement." Or not. The reason of her lack of sleep these past few days is that guy. She doesn't really have the time to think about the coronation. It will be still held few months from now. Whether she likes it or not.

"That's... You should not be thinking about it much, honey," I am not mother, "It will come sooner before you know it."

"Before we forgot, I would like you to know that the Queen and I will be gone in the country for few months but we promised that we will be here for your coronation." Months? Apparently, their absence is for the supervision of their business across the world. She doesn't know why she feels agitated about the idea of not having her parents around. It means she can do anything she wants. An idea popped up her mind. "During those times, we hope you will be able to know your fiancè more,"

"Wait, what?" She snapped from dozing out and shocked from what she heard, "Fiancè? What do you mean?" When she saw that the King didn't have any intention of answering, she looked at her mother, "Mom?"

With apologetic look, the Queen held her hand, "You're not getting any younger, honey. You should have someone by your side when you rule the country,"

"But, don't you think that's unfair of you to decide without my consent?" She shrieked. She can't lose her composure in front of her parents but. She closed her eyes to calm herself down.

Her sister is just eyeing them, not really wanting to interrupt with their conversation.

"I am sure you will like the man, honey, he came from a respectable family," the King added

She just nodded in response and stood up, "I am done, thanks for the meal."

She doesn't care if they think she is being disrespectful and unreasonable. She just can't believe that they did that! She is just twenty-one years old for Pete's sake! And that guy. She sighs in frustration.

She thought about that guy.