four

Everly

I was the first one awake in the room, so I decided to quietly slip out to go downstairs. I heard rustling, so I assumed it was my moms making breakfast in the kitchen.

As I neared the stairs, I heard my mom's laugh and smiled to myself, then quickly started my descent. They're talking again.

I watched Via smile, then kiss my mom's head, before moving her out of the way.

"Hey, I can do it." My mom fought her laughter.

"We have other girls who are going to eat it, not just us. It has to be edible for them, because they won't lie." Via playfully told her.

My mom gasped as if she was offended, which caused Via to pull her and kiss her forehead.

"I'm just playing with you, my love." Via said, holding my mom in one arm and stirring something with the other.

I smiled to myself before heading into sight.

"Goodmorning, beautiful!" Via smiled at me.

"Goodmorning." I smiled back at her.

My mom parted from Via and opened her arms to me, to which I happily entered. There is just something about her hugs that make everything so much better.

I felt her kiss the top of my head, before releasing me and grabbing glasses from the cabinet. I took a few from her and set them on the counter.

I helped them finish breakfast and the girls slowly trailed in, starting with Brooke, then Lily, and finally Gianna.

We all sat at the dining room table and enjoyed simple conversation over the delicious food made by my moms. Soon after that, Gianna and Lily both left, but Brooke stuck around, which wasn't uncommon.

My moms wanted me to watch Sixteen Candles, so all four of us found a spot on the same couch. Via, mom, me, then Brooke. My moms cuddled into one another quickly, which made me happy. It had been quite a while since they even got near each other. I smiled to myself and refocused on the movie, which was easier to do now that all was right again in the house.

The movie finished fairly early in the day, so Brooke and I decided to go swimming in the pool.

We got dressed and were about to head out, before they stopped us.

"Why not?" I asked, showing my suspicion.

"We have to go somewhere." Mom said softly, watching Via.

"Where?" I smirked. I knew it! We're going to get a pet.

Via sighed and nodded at mom, before mom smiled and said "Go get changed. Meet in the car."

Brooke and I did as they instructed, then allowed them to believe they could surprise me, even though I knew where we were going. It was the only thing I asked for as a gift from them.

Once parked, we entered the animal shelter, and were led to the cats and kittens. I think this is the happiest day of my life.

I pet all of the cats as they neared me, waiting for one to call my name.

My moms stood back watching me, petting the few cats that strayed that way. Then, I saw her. The one I am meant to have. She was a black, orange, and white tortoiseshell and she was perfect.

I locked eyes with the cat and smiled, causing her to meow. She's the one.

I neared her and pet her head, which melted right into my hand.