Let it Go

Warnings: A Sad One-Shot
Based off Let it go by James Bay

From walking home and talking loads
To seeing shows in evening clothes with you
From nervous touch and getting drunk
To staying up and waking up with you

Daniel watched as Corbyn slept. His mind wandering. They'd been together for 3 years now. Sophomore in high school to their first year in the real world.

The two met in high school freshman year and developed feelings from there.

Daniel's smile widened as he remembered the times where he and Corbyn walked together home. Their conversations so meaningful and precious. Ones he would never forget. The way Corbyn held his hand or waist tightly, or how he would sneak kisses to Daniel. Daniel giggled at the memory.

Daniel was always nervous around Corbyn, always. Expecially when Corbyn touched.

Flashbacks also popped into his head about him and Corbyn go to parties together being rebellious teenagers. Getting drunk together wasting the night. And going to sleep and waking up to Corbyn.

He groaned remembering the headaches. But the thought still made him smile.

Now we're sleeping near the edge
Holding something we don't need
All this delusion in our heads
Is gonna bring us to our knees

Daniel sighed, he missed those days. Corbyn slept with him still but always not next to each other, always on the edges.

Their conversations were less meaningful and the two didnt communicate as much.

'I miss it' daniel thought.

From throwing clothes across the floor
To teeth and claws and slamming doors at you
If this is all we're living for
Why are we doing it, doing it, doing it anymore?

Daniel lost his virginity to Corbyn in junior year. Corbyn always made sure he was comfortable.

Now that they didnt talk as much, they only had makeout sessions and sex. Usually they were around friends more now.

Their relationship was just in their head.

I used to recognize myself
It's funny how reflections change
When we're becoming something else
I think it's time to walk away

Daniel hated how their relationship changed. There just wasnt love like there used to.

That's when he knew he couldnt continue this relationship. He got out of bed. Trying to keep quiet.

He put on his clothes and packed his things. He blinked the tears away. Knowing it was also for the best.

As he finished, he saw Corbyn was awake watching him.

"Dani? What are you doing?" Corbyn asked quietly, his voice raspy.

Daniel's heart sunk. "We cant continue this Corbyn. Its over"

Corbyn knew exactly what he was talking about. But he wasnt going to acknowledge it.

"What? Continue what? Am I doing something wrong? Dont break up with me dani"

Daniel clenched his fists, "you know what I'm talking about Corbyn."

Corbyn got up, taking Daniel's hand, "please baby dont leave I'll fix it"

Tryna fit your hand inside of mine
When we know it just don't belong
'Cause no force on earth could make it feel right, no, no
Tryna push this problem up the hill
When it's just too heavy to hold
I think now's the time to let it slide

Daniel's voice got caught in his throat as his hand slid from corbyns hand. "I'm sorry. I truly am. I love you but it isnt working"

"But then we fix it!" Corbyn croaked, trying to keep himself together though he knew Daniel was right.

They just weren't who they used to. And that was okay. It sucked but it was life.

"I'm sorry Corbyn" daniel looked down, not able to look at Corbyns face.

So, come on, let it go, just let it be
Why don't you be you, and I'll be me?
Everything that's broke, leave it to the breeze
Why don't you be you, and I'll be me?
And I'll be me

"Yeah it's fine. Young love never works out does it?" Corbyn sadly smiled, "here let me help you"

Daniel gave a sad smile back, "thanks"

So, come on, let it go, just let it be
Why don't you be you, and I'll be me?
Everything that's broke, leave it to the breeze
Let the ashes fall, forget about me

Corbyn grabbed Daniel's arm right before he left in his car. Daniel looked at him. Corbyn hesitating before tearing.

"I know I know it's for the better. But before I leave it be, can i kiss you for the last time daniel?" Corbyn whispered.

"Yeah we both need it" daniel whispered back. He turned around fully and allowed Corbyn to kiss his lips.

Both didnt feel a spark like they did in high school. That was their closure.

They had to let it go