Chapter 16 - Missing List

People were screaming from every direction. Evacuation was taking place but it was far from an orderly fashion. Jez pulled her hair back into a messy high, blue ponytail. This meant business. Though she hadn’t slept properly for days, Jez felt like she was ready for anything. She ran through the streets searching for someone who needed help or someone she could stop. Rubble from collapsing buildings fell and Jez shoved people out of the rocks’ path.

Jez felt a pain in her back as someone kicked her and pushed her forward. She rolled over and dodged another kick to the face. She pushed herself up and backflipped so that she was facing her opponent. Batroc the Leaper gave a cheesy smile at her. Jez groaned. This guy never gave up. She’d locked him up numerous times but he just kept coming back.

“Don’t you ever give up Batroc?” Jez laughed. She actually quite liked the villain in a way. He was strange.

Batroc shook his head dramatically and leaped towards Jez. She dodged but caught his foot and spun him around. She flung him into the nearest shop window. Seconds later he emerged not happy.

“I thought that you’d be happier to see me petit oiseau,” Batroc said in a fake disappointed French accent. “Oh well.”

“De rien!” Jez said before her foot collided with his chest knocking him through another wall. Two S.H.I.E.L.D agents were there instantly and put handcuffs on the now unconscious Batroc.

Now it was Jezebel’s turn to be flung through a shop window. She coughed as she dusted the glass shards from her suit. That had hurt. Before she knew it scaly rough claws had her pinned to the wall by her throat. Jez looked deep into the red eyes of Lizard also known as Dr. Curtis Connors. He hissed and spat right into her face. She crinkled her face in disgust. It had only been three weeks ago that BlueJay had helped Spiderman take down Lizard. How did all of these villains get out of their holdings?

Lizard fell to the floor as an electric arrow appeared in his stomach. Jez pushed him off of her as more S.H.I.E.L.D agents appeared and took him away.

“Looked like you could used a hand,” Clint smiled. Jez laughed quietly.

“Thanks Hawkeye,” she said and took his extended hand.

“I hear you up and left S.H.I.E.L.D,” Clint mentioned.

Jez shrugged defeated. Honestly she had no clue what she was doing in her life.

“I just don’t know what I’m doing Barton,” she said and sat. The street had seemed to clear but Jez knew well that the fighting was still in full swing. “I just don’t know.”

“I know how you feel,” Clint sighed. “I’ve been trying to ask Natasha to . . . Don’t tell anyone but I was planning on going official with her but from the way she talks I feel like she doesn’t want to.”

Jez grinned. Everyone had been waiting for Clint and Natasha to finally admit to each other that they had something special.

“She wants to Clint,” Jez replied. In her time at S.H.I.E.L.D Jez had never gotten to properly know Hawkeye and Black Widow but in the time she did spend with them it was clear that they had strong feelings for each other.

“I guess I’ll just have to wait and see until this war ends,” Clint laughed and jumped onto a car roof to have a look around.

Clint pointed to his left and grinned. Jez followed his gesture and spotted Tony flying by quickly followed by some huge dog just like Bad Clifford.

“The party is that way,” Clint declared and hopped back off of the car. “Care to come?” Jez shrugged and stood back up.

“Time to tango, Barton,” she said and ran after him in the direction of the fight.

~EARLIER~

“Wow that’s so cool Mr. Iron Man!” Jesse gasped as Tony showed him another trick that his suit could do. Steve watched too but he had seen it all before and he didn’t want to give Tony the satisfaction of thinking that Steve thought he was cool. Tony was narcissistic enough as it was.

“Stark,” Steve said standing suddenly. “Did you hear that?”

Even Jesse became quiet as they listened for Steve’s sound again. A loud horn blew again. Tony raised an eyebrow at Steve who just shrugged. As if some silent trigger had been set off, both men ran to the nearest window of Stark Tower. What they saw none of them expected.

“What do we do with the kid?” was all Tony asked. Steve looked back at Jesse’s worried face and sighed.

“I’ll keep him safe and defend Stark Tower at the same time,” Steve decided. “You go and assemble the Avengers. I’ll alert S.H.I.E.L.D.”

Tony laughed suddenly and it made Jesse jump. Steve’s eyebrows creased.

“What?” he asked.

“I’m pretty sure S.H.I.E.L.D already knows that every villain that has ever been in their prisons is marching down the streets all at once.”

“This isn’t a time for laughing Stark,” Steve said. “Get out there!”

Tony made a silent growl before doing what he was told, for once.

“Do you think my dad will be okay?” Jesse asked quietly. Steve nodded certainly.

“He will be,” he answered. “Your dad is with one of the best heroes out there. She’ll let nothing and no one hurt him. She loves him like he loves you. He’ll be fine.”

Steve made his answer sound as if Jez was going to protect Harry. He knew that she would but the way he thought it in his head was:

“Jez is with one of her best friends. He’ll let nothing and no one hurt her. He loves her like I love her. She’ll be fine.”

Steve hoped with every bit of his body that that was true. It was a day until their wedding now. All they needed was one more day.

* * *

“Steve!” Jez called and rushed towards her fiancé. A grin spread across her face as he knocked down villain after villain. As she got closer Jez wondered where his shield was. She slowed down as she noticed that Steve wasn’t in his suit either. The man looked just like Steve but it wasn’t him. How was she sure? He was now on fire and wasn’t screaming for help.

Jez felt herself being pulled out of the way of a charging Bad Clifford. No one had been beside her yet someone had stretched to catch her.

“BlueJay,” the man said. “It’s nice to finally meet you! I’m Mr. Fantastic but you can call me Reed. That man you thought was Captain America is the Human Torch. Johnny is one of us, the Fantastic Four I mean.”

“I know who you are,” Jez smiled glad that she didn’t embarrass herself too much. “When people said Steve was like Johnny I didn’t think they meant that much alike!”

Reed laughed at that but nodded understandingly at Jez. Jezebel’s eyes glanced over Reed’s shoulder and she saw Trapster aiming a gun at Reed’s back. Jez caught Reed and flung him to the floor before leaping over him and crashing a foot into Trapster’s face. That was going to leave a bruise. S.H.I.E.L.D agents were on the job and put him in handcuffs.

“I guess there’s no time for chatting,” Reed joked. Jez shook her head.

“I have to find Steve anyway,” she said. “I’ll see you after? Then we can properly get to know each other.”

With a nod from Reed Jez headed off into the heart of the war. She knew that probably not everyone she knew would survive this war. She had already passed numerous bodies but she didn’t let herself think about that. Harry was gone to god knows where, Peter was a hostage and Steve was on the missing list too. Jez thought of Harry’s plea and wondered if she should have gone looking for him rather than trusting him to take care of himself.

“If I did, you know, I want you and Steve to be Jesse’s parents.”