Chapter 13 - Love and Shwarma

“A SON?!?!?!”

“You didn’t know?” Steve asked Jez holding the mobile away from his ear in case of another yell. Jesse sat watching Steve very amused.

“No,” Jez replied in her normal voice. Steve could hear Peter freaking out in the background. Harry really was good at keeping secrets. Steve guessed that it was because nobody ever suspected him of anything so no one was watching. Harry never gave away any signs of being a dad and no one knew who the mother was.

Steve could tell that Jez was a little upset by the news, why wouldn’t she be? She still loved Harry in a way and for him to just magically have a son so old . . . he had never said anything about it before. Steve guessed that Jez was probably wondering why Harry hadn’t told her. Everything was all happening too fast now. Up until now all of Jezebel’s problem involved waiting. Now all she could do was make a move and fight for her life.

Steve wanted nothing more than to be with Jez. He knew that Peter would protect her with his life but it wasn’t her protection Steve was worried about. He was worried more about her mental state. Steve knew from experience that it was scary and hard. He had chosen to be a hero but Jez had it all thrust upon her without a thought. All the other S.H.I.E.L.D heroes had a choice. If Jez had wanted to spend her life saving others she would have been a doctor or police officer or something along those lines. She hadn’t chosen that and she hadn’t chosen to be a hero. There were already doctors, police officers and heroes. They wouldn’t miss one or two,

Jez didn’t talk to anyone. She pretended like everything was okay when in reality it was a mess. Steve wanted to help her cope. Eventually everything was going to build up inside of her and she’d explode and break down. Jez never wanted to talk to anyone about how she felt, not even Steve. Steve knew that Jez thought that she was being strong by holding it together on her own but Steve wished that she’d talk to him.

“Steve, are you still there?” Jez asked. Steve nodded but remembered that Jez couldn’t see him through the phone.

“Yeah Jez,” he replied. “Where are you now?” There was a brief pause as Jez considered whether to tell him or not. It wasn’t that she didn’t trust him. She just didn’t want him worrying about her like he always did.

“I’m on my way to MJ’s house,” she replied warily.

Steve raised an eyebrow. MJ’s house? What was there? He decided not to ask. Jez wanted to do this on her own and prove that she was strong. She had told Steve what Tony had said. Steve was so angry with Tony. Tony knew nothing about Jez. He was supposed to be one of her friends but clearly not. Tony Stark was just another colleague now.

“Be careful,” Steve said replying to Jez. “Tell Peter that I want you back the same way you left! You’ll have to be in perfect condition for our wedding.”

Jez laughed and Steve could hear Peter and Gwen did too. He smiled at the sound of Jezebel’s laugh. He hadn’t heard that in a while. Jesse was still sitting and staring at Steve.

“I can take care of myself Rogers!” Jez exclaimed. There was a little gasp and then the sound of a train. She had obviously gotten distracted and nearly flew into a train.

Steve chuckled quietly and Jesse laughed too even though he didn’t understand why they were laughing.

“I know you can,” Steve said proudly. “I love you.”

“I love you too Steve,” Jez replied. “This has been a yocky few days but the . . . the umm . . . the Jez Team are on it!”

“Jez team?!” Peter asked in the background. “That’s the best you could come up with?”

“Shut up Spidey I’m working on it,” Jez replied. “We’re nearly there Steve. I’ll talk to you as soon as I have any news.” The line went dead so Steve turned back to Jesse Osborn.

Jesse smiled up at Steve. He had big blue eyes and beautiful blond hair that flopped over his eyes. Steve remembered the rant that Jez had had over him the first time they met. Jez said that she had never seen a more adorable child and that it made her wish that she could have kids. It had made Steve want one too but they had never wanted to be parents and it would be too hard considering who they were.

“So where are your mom and dad soldier?” Steve asked the little boy. Jesse shrugged dramatically and held up his hands.

“I don’t know,” he said. “Want to play a game?” Steve thought about the offer. He had planned on paying Tony a visit and giving him some choice words but he couldn’t leave a little kid on his own.

“How about we go on an adventure instead?” Steve offered.

Jesse beamed at Steve and his eyes lit up in curiosity.

“Where are we going?” Jesse asked bouncing up and down.

“We’re going to see Tony Stark at Stark Tower.” Jesse gasped in awe at the thought.

“Iron Man!” he squealed and ran out of the bedroom quickly followed by Steve.

* * *

Jez landed on the sidewalk across the road from where MJ’s family lived. She heard Peter land beside her before shuffling uncomfortably.

“Why are we here Jez?” Peter asked clearly not happy at all. “What does this have to do with anything?” Gwen watched the two stare at the house. She was also curious as to why they were at the victim’s house when they were supposed to be going after murderers.

“I think a member of MJ’s family is trying to kill me,” Jez announced. There was a split moment of calm before the storm began.

“Are you bloody crazy?” Peter yelled. “Why on Earth would a member of MJ’s own family kill her? Jez you really are mental. This is ridiculous.” Gwen took a step forward.

“It does sound a little farfetched Jez,” Gwen added.

Jez turned so that her back was facing the house and so that she was facing her friends.

“No,” Jez said simply. “She didn’t kill MJ but when MJ died because of BlueJay she wanted revenge. Annie Watson, MJ’s sister, was recruited by the leader of the group named “Birds of Prey”. Now she plays a lead part in the group.” Peter shook his head angrily.

“No Jez,” he said. “Mary Jane’s sister isn’t a murderer. Annie wouldn’t hurt a fly let alone a human.”

“Peter I know what I’m talking about,” Jez pleaded.

“No Jez,” Peter sighed. “I don’t think you do. I heard so many people say that you were going crazy and that you weren’t able to handle the pressure. I stood up for you but this is too far. You’re going to get yourself and everyone else killed if you don’t start thinking. MJ is dead. My girlfriend is dead. I tried so hard not to show any emotion around you because I understood how you felt. I had nobody’s help when I became Spiderman so you should appreciate S.H.I.E.L.D and go back. I don’t blame you for MJ’s death but I can’t watch you call her sister a bad guy. I think that I need to go solo for awhile and get a real chance to just think.”

Jez said nothing. She just nodded once and turned back to the yellow suburb house.

“I’ll see you around Spidey,” Jez said and started towards the front door. Gwen didn’t move so Jez guessed that she was on her own with this. She didn’t mind. Now it was her chance to prove everyone wrong. Jez was going to end this once and for all. No more secrets, no more hate, no more fighting, no more doubt. There would only be a whole lot of love and Shwarma.

Sorry for the huge gaps between chapters but bear with me! It's not going to be very good because I hardly remember what's after happening but I'll proof read it when I can. Until then, enjoy!