Chapter 20: The Incident

Start from the beginning

Chara hadn't talked to Gaster for the next few days. He was frustrated that she couldn't understand how this research might help monsters in the future. There was nothing harmful about it. The body was dead. It was just a Soul.

...Then again, maybe she had a point. But still, to Gaster, he had to make her sacrifice mean something. This energy could be used to power the CORE's true function.

Gaster was sitting alone, thinking about this, when he heard a knock on his lab door. "Come in."

The door opened, and Asgore walked in. "Howdy, Gaster."

Gaster got up. "Asgore. Good to see you. Did you get my message?"

"Yes, you wanted me to see your extractor."

Gaster nodded and led him to the elevator leading into his deeper lab.

On while elevator, Asgore asked, "so, you were planning to do with the Soul."

"Well," Gaster replied, "As I was studying the Soul, I found that it was not so different from our own. Yes, it is true, it is much more powerful from monster Souls. About around a thousand times, by my estimate. But like our Souls, they contain at least a small amount of each trait. Patience, Bravery, Integrity, Perseverance, Kindness, Justice, and of course, Determination."

"Also," Gaster continued, as the elevator door opened, and he began leading Asgore into the lower labs, "I have found that Souls can... restore themselves to their original form, if damaged, should they find the will. I have reconfigured the human Soul's containment capsule to emulate these effects, help the Soul retain itself, and keep it from fading away."

"Where are you going with this?" Asgore asked.

"If you remember, I asked to be able to 'harvest' the Soul. In actuality, I intend to extract these traits from the Soul into a liquid form, where they can be studied, or used as energy. The strongest of which, as I have found... is Determination. And then, with my new configuration on the capsule, the Soul should restore itself in time, regain the traits they lost. As long as this is handled correctly, they can provide an alternative, infinite source of energy."

"Aw, I see. Do you think this can be done?" Asgore replied.

"It's all theoretical right now. I would approach this with caution, until we know for sure, or else we lose our only current Soul. Now come, let me show you."

Gaster brought Asgore into a large room, with a large skull-like machine hanging over a pit. The skull resembled the top of an animal skull, with two tusks protruding from it. There were four large wires connected to the top of the skull, and held in place by metal bracers, and then there were two more wires connected at the sides of the top of the skulls to tusks.

"I call this the DT Extractor. With this, I can harvest Determination from a Soul. Our research can reach new heights with this." Gaster turned to the next room. "Lizzie! Is the capsule ready!?"

"Yes!" the assistant yelled. She then pulled the Soul capsule in on a cart. "The experiment is ready to start at your command, Doctor!"

"Thank you, ready the logs for recording, title: Entry #16." Gaster turned back to Asgore. "Please come over to the control console, Asgore. You may want to stay out of the way from the front of the machine, as it may attempt to Extract from your Soul, and as a monster, that could be fatal."

"Oh, of course," Asgore replied, following Gaster to the console.

The console was a screen built into the wall. Gaster pressed a button on the corner of the screen, and a keyboard popped out beneath it. The Extractor's command computer booted up.