Chapter 18: The First Human

Start from the beginning

"So, what do you like to do, Alisa? Draw? Hear stories?"

"I like to sing!" Alisa replied, and then she began to do just that, singing a simple tune.

"Chara, can I talk to you? Alone," Semi asked me.

"Yeah," And I led him to the kitchen.

"Where did she come from?" Semi asked.

"I don't know, aside from probably the Surface. She just walked in on me playing the piano. She... you know what's going to happen to her, if we don't..."

Semi sighed. "Look, I don't have a problem with taking care of another human, but you... don't you hate humanity? Why do you want to help her?"

I looked down.

"Sorry, that's a dumb question-"

"No, it's okay," I interrupted, "I... I don't know what it is, but... this kid. I just... feel like I need to help her. I- I'm, sorry I don't know."

"It's okay... but Chara, it's not going to be easy to take care of another child."

"I know, but we have to-"

"Father, I'm back! Is Chara here-" a new voice spoke from the front room, before suddenly stopping.

I quickly turned around. "Wingding! Wait!"

I ran back into the front room. Gaster and Pristina just returned, finding Alisa singing in the front room.

"H-hi," Alisa greeted nervously.

"Oh, hello," Pristina replied. She turned to me. "You found another one of your kind. That's awesome."

Gaster just stared at her. He seemed... unsure. But I got the feeling that something bad was about to happen.

"Gaster..." I called to him. "Are you okay?"

"I... Chara... what- sorry, who is this?" he asked.

"This is Alisa." I turned to the little girl. "Hey, do you want to sing for my friend."

"O-okay," she replied, still nervous about the tall skeleton. Then, slowly, she began singing, "Tra, tra la la. Fa, fa la la..."

This went on for a minute or two, and in the time, Gaster seemed to calm down.

"You feeling better now, sweetie?" Pristina.

"Yeah- I- I need some rest," Gaster replied. Then he went up to his room.

Alisa looked down. I knelt down beside her, and said, "Don't worry, give him some time. He'll warm up to you."

At least I hope so, I thought, he did with me, I have to believe he can do the same for you. I have to...

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

It's been a few days since Alisa arrived. She started getting used to living here. Gaster's lightened up to her, and Alisa has gotten closer to our small family, especially me. We decided to keep her on the down-low with our friends for now, and asked Pristina to not tell Blooky and Hapi about her.

Alisa spent a lot of time with me, reading or drawing with me, singing with me while I play the piano. It was great. It made me feel... whole. But I couldn't understand why.

Gaster taught her about the Soul, and even revealed her own soul to here. He told me that she had the trait of Patience. He then explained that monsters usually aren't born with their Soul Trait, and gain it when they get older. If it is the same for humans, then it is impressive that she got her trait at such a young age. But he told me this because she is still young, and it still might not have fully developed. He also reminded me that anyone could have their own trait fail on them from time to time.