[05-1] A New Start, with New Resolve

Start from the beginning

With a deep breath, thinking of every bit of strength she's mustered up before, Beginning grabs Selfishness's wrists, one in each hand.

Both girls stare at her like she's suicidal, but before any more than a startled "wha--" can leave Selfishness's mouth, Beginning pries her wrists off of Inconsistency's throat with one smooth, solid tug.

She honestly doesn't know if it's her own strength coming through, or if Selfishness was just too surprised to fight back in time, but somehow, it works. Before the two of them can grab at each other again, Beginning gives each of them a firm shove, ripping them away from each other along with a decent-sized clump of Selfishness's long, white hair, an angry squawk from Inconsistency, and a choked out swear from Selfishness.

Inconsistency falls backward onto the ground with a thud. Selfishness manages to catch herself, but only barely. They both look at Beginning like she's lost her mind. Maybe she has. It's hard to tell anymore.

"The fuck!?" Selfishness shouts, stepping forward and towering over Beginning in an obvious intimidation tactic. "Who do you think you are? What makes you think you can just barge in and mess with me?" Inconsistency chimes in from the background, suddenly in agreement.

Beginning thinks that she should probably be cowering, that Selfishness is going to make her regret it if she doesn't. If it had been at any other time, she probably would have. But instead, clinging furiously to the courage still simmering in her heart, Beginning looks Selfishness dead in the eye and smiles with a happiness that she can almost feel.

"I'm not messing with you. You were going to hurt each other, so I stepped in. That's all. I didn't mean to insult you." Her voice sounds so sure, so confident. Beginning just hopes she can keep it up.

Selfishness lunges forwards with a threat of murder.

One of Jealousy's hands catches the back of the cloth looped around her chest at the last second, tugging her quickly away from Beginning.

"Alright, that's enough. Judgement doesn't want her dead, so I think you should stop here. Go find Cowardly if you need someone to beat up on," Jealousy deadpans. Fortunately, the mention of Judgement's name seems to be enough to stop Selfishness in her tracks. Inconsistency starts cackling.

Selfishness storms off, heading for Inconsistency again, and the two of them go squabbling off into the fog, furious voices echoing off the streets. Obsession, Beginning notices, is staring at her with intensity.

"Now, what gave you so much bravery?" Jealousy asks. "That certainly wasn't natural coming from someone like you. Did you decide you have a death wish or something?" Her eyes all roll forwards, fixing on Beginning like a target. Beginning bristles. How condescending can Jealousy get?

"I'm just trying to be a little happier, that's all. I don't think it's going to do any of us any good if I just mope around."

One of Jealousy's eyes twitches.

"A better attitude, huh? I can't imagine Judgement will appreciate you acting on your own like you did, you know. I'd watch it if I were you. You don't want to get yourself in that person's bad graces." She tilts her head, looking up at Beginning with barely concealed annoyance.

"I'll handle myself, thank you. You don't need to worry about me," Beginning replies. Jealousy makes a face like she wants to stab her.

Jealousy opens her mouth like she wants to say something, but before the words can get out, Obsession suddenly shoves her away.

"Oh, Beginning. You were so brave. Standing up to those scary girls; why, you're just amazing." Her hands grab at Beginning's, dragging her closer so quickly she stumbles. "It's been forever since I've seen you, hasn't it? I've missed you so much! What have you been doing? Have you been with the others? They haven't been hurting you, have they?"