III

"Nigga Amere Boudreaux?! On who?!" her brother asked her over FaceTime that evening as she drove home from work

"Nigga Amere Boudreaux?! On who?!" her brother asked her over FaceTime that evening as she drove home from work. She was eager to tell everyone, but had to tell her brother first.

"On mommies, I swear Z, I almost passed out. He was sitting in there, in my head I'm like...we got the right room, like do y'all know who this nigga is?! Rookie of the year!"

"That's what I'm talkin' bout, sis. You better work yo ass off, show all them people they got the best agent on the map in they office. Man if you ain't live so damn far I would have took you out, but you had to move a brick away and shit," he sucked his teeth.

"You're definitely sicing it, I live like three hours away, Ezekiel," she chuckled.

"Come see us next weekend, since three hours ain't nothing," he said. "You know it's the first Sunday of the month anyway. Ma and daddy gon wanna take us all to church, it's gonna be weird if we can't go get crabs after,"

"Bet. I was waiting on an excuse to come back, anyway. You gon pick me up? Because I'm not using my gas," she said.

"Lazy ass, I gotchu, moe,"

"Stop calling me moe! Damn, act like I been gone for ten years," she chuckled. "I'll talk to you later Z, I'm bout to be in the house,"

"Aight, love you," he smiled.

"Love you more," she cheesed, hanging up. She sighed in contentment, grabbing her heels and her purse, getting ready to go upstairs. She slipped her feet in some yellow crocs, and shuffled her way inside toward the elevator. Once inside she saw a couple that she frequently saw on her commutes in and out of the building.

They were really cute together and she rarely saw one without the other. She would say hi, since she had no friends, but they both looked mean in the face.

"You the girl that moved in on our floor right? Third?" the girl looked up from her phone and turned to Yanni.

"Yeah, that's me, I'm E'ani," she said politely.

"Oh okay, I'm Nyx, this my man, Roman. You from here?" Nyx tilted her head a little, her body wave curls falling over her shoulder.

"Nah, I'm from Maryland," she nodded. She never knew whether to say Maryland or D.C.

"Oh shit, that's cool. Well nice meetin' you, sis. If you ever bored in there, we live in 306, we'll go get some water ice or something. You been to Kings?" she asked as they exited on their floor. Yanni shook her head and they both looked shocked. "We'll take you,"

"Aw, it was nice meeting y'all too. Thank you, I'll definitely take you up on that," she smiled widely, fishing her keys out of her purse. They said their goodbyes and separated down the hallway.

That was easier than I thought. She thought to herself, getting ready to go inside.