After everything they had been through in such a small time he had become territorial rather than trusting. Having believed that she had gained his trust last night was the last straw, she realised quickly that he was never going to make the final move because he didn't feel the same for her as she did for him. Oh he probably found her attractive and enjoyed her company but he could find that in a whore. Amelia was no whore.

—-

Ada was the first person to storm into the office that morning, her red lipstick perfectly lathered in her lips.

"Amelia what the bloody hell happened? I've had Polly picking my brains all morning" and she slammed her bag down on the the desk before ripping off her gloves.

Amelia sighed in frustration and suddenly wished she was alone again "Ada please, now is not the time"

Ada tutted "Now is a perfect time. I'm not leaving until you spill"

"I'm done Ada. I'm just done okay? Your brother crossed a line. Unfortunately it wasn't the right one"

"What the ell does that even mean?"

Amelia had caved and told Ada everything in hopes that Ada would leave it alone but she didn't. Ada was furious with her brother but still tried to explain away his actions.

"Shelby men...once you're involved that's it Amelia. It would of been expected love. I should of said but I didn't realise-"

Amelia scoffed, she didn't care what they expected. Just because Amelia and Tommy had shared a few kisses and stolen moments didn't mean she was bound to him forever. Amelia lived in her own modern world and refused to be dragged into theirs.

"Look, it's fine. I'm fine. It was just business that went a stray" Amelia smiled.

"I don't believe you for one second" Ada said as she stood up. "I hope to god you both realise what you're doing before it too late" and she began to pull her gloves back on.

Amelia shrugged hopelessly. The conversation was starting to give her a headache and she didn't want to think about it anymore.

"Before you go" she unlocked her draw and reached in, retrieving Tommy's cap "Can you pass this on for me? I didn't get the chance yesterday"

Ada took the cap in defeat and looked at her friend who was being incredibly stubborn. Squishing it in her bag, gently as not to slice her fingers on the blade she walked to the door.

"You coming to the pub tonight?" It was a last ditch attempt to get through to her.

Amelia looked up from her paper work with a small uneasy smile.

"I can't tonight. I'm leaving for a few days. I'm going back to London"

Ada didn't bother to hide her shock "What for?"

"I've got some business to attend to. It will only be for a few days. We'll go for a drink when I come back?" And Amelia smiled brightly up at her friend, trying to soothe the tension in the room.

"You're so buying!" She mumbled before she left.

—-
Tommy was in a foul mood. John and Arthur had spent the whole evening trying to cheer him up but nothing worked. Instead they poured him with liquor in hopes that he would lighten up and in a last ditch attempt tried to persuade him a night on town would be fun.